Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Pokemon Master Red

Default [3rd Edition] [Psionics] Character Help

So I am playing in my first Gurps campaign, and while I am starting to get a decent grasp of the system I think, some items still have me confused.

I am playing a character whose super powers are Psionic based (think Jean Gray kind of from the X-Men). Jean can fly, using her telekinetic powers as the way she lifts herself.

I have been reading in the Psionics book but there is something I am confused about after reading through that and different forum posts.

Levitation has the following description:
"This skill works to lift only the psi’s own body (and what-
ever he is carrying). It is the psionic form of flight, and allows
horizontal as well as vertical movement. The psi can move only
his own body plus whatever he is carrying (no more than his
own weight)."

"No concentration or skill roll is required to use or maintain
this ability – once you have a half-point in it, it’s as easy as
walking. Instead, use skill/2 (round down) to determine Dodge
while flying, or roll vs. skill for complex acrobatics."

"Weight and skill are figured as for Telekinesis (below), but
Power is effectively increased by 10, for this skill only. This
means that a levitator with a Power as low as 5 (4, for a child)
can “fly” at a yard per second, and a high-powered levitator can
go fast. (A levitator too weak to fly can still make his body very
light!) Maximum practical speed without special protection is
about 100 mph. A PK Shield of Power 10+ counts as special
protection."

I don't fully understand how to use the "Speed of Movement" table under Telekenesis to determine how fast I am going, and would appreciate some explanation. Or even just confirmation I am reading it right. (Special shield aside, I just want to know how fast I can go).

Stats:
Note: Because it is a superhero campaign we have a large supply of points to work with.
Psychokinesis level 27
Telekinesis level 20 (at PK 27 I can lift 2500 at 20 + 250 per level beyond 20, which totals 4250, and I am only about 125-130 lbs total generally).
Levitate level 14

Mass table has my max at 4250 lbs if I am not mistaken. My understanding is I take my 27 PK (the higher number), and subtract the power required to keep whatever I am trying to move, moving. So to move myself the power required is lets say 15 (up to 250lbs). That is a difference of 12(27TK - 15 required = 12 difference), which is move 60? (120mph)

Now, adding levitate, the description says it adds +10 power for that skill only. Is that +10 per level of levitate? That would be +140 at level 14. 160 if I add that to my 20 Telekinesis skill. Or is it just always +10? (and if so is there any point to take additional levels of levitate?)

That would make 160 my higher number, and 15 my lower, to move myself. The text (under Telekinesis) says take the difference between the two numbers.

The difference for that is 145. The text says every 2 levels of difference doubles the speed, up to a difference of 16. After that, every 2 levels 500 mph. I assume levels of difference is simply every 2 points of difference? That is 129 points beyond 16. If I simply do 128*500, that is 64,000 mph. (Or if I do 129, add 125 MPH on an odd number where the difference is 16 or more, so 64,125 MPH). Am I understanding this wrong/right?

Because if that is correct... I am going to need to do some point reallocation because I don't need to move anywhere near that fast. I feel like I am getting something very wrong.
Pokemon Master Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: [3rd Edition][Psionics] Character Help

Psychokinesis level 27
Levitate gives +10 bringing that to 37

Power Required 15 (up to 250lbs)

37 - 15 = excess 22
22 = Move 1,000 (2,000 mph)

Why buy up Levitate?
Quote:
use skill/2 (round down) to determine Dodge while flying, or roll vs. skill for complex acrobatics."
Because a Levitate Skill of 32 will get you a Dodge score of 16.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Pokemon Master Red

So then it's a static +10 to my PK skill. But the additional levels add to things like dodge?

(Just making sure I am following you.)
Old 08-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Master Red View Post
So then it's a static +10 to my PK skill. But the additional levels add to things like dodge?
Yes, and skill for complex acrobatics.

Also, with Psychokinesis level 27 you can grab someone weighing up to 250lbs and slam them into walls, the ground etc at 625 mph.

Looking at the rules for Collisions, that's Victims HP X 3.125 dice of damage (rounded up to the nearest full die) so against someone with 10hp that's 32 dice of damage, so average injury (112) is enough to reach the spatter threshold (HTX-10)

3rd edition supers were often glass cannons.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
Pokemon Master Red

Thank you very much. This is super helpful information. I get it now.

And they kind of feel like glass cannon characters. It's kind of crazy how powerful they can be.

I am going to tweak my character a bit now that I understand how it works. Appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Psychokinesis level 27
Levitate gives +10 bringing that to 37

Power Required 15 (up to 250lbs)

37 - 15 = excess 22
22 = Move 1,000 (2,000 mph)

Why buy up Levitate?
Because a Levitate Skill of 32 will get you a Dodge score of 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Master Red View Post
Thank you very much. This is super helpful information. I get it now.

And they kind of feel like glass cannon characters. It's kind of crazy how powerful they can be.

I am going to tweak my character a bit now that I understand how it works. Appreciate it!
I forgot how over powered GURPS 3e was. It make me appreciate the 4e a lot more and how it toned done 3e excesses.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
Pokemon Master Red

I am planning to give 4e a spin later in the future. Our GM said he prefers 3e, so that's why we are doing it.

I believe he wanted the whole glass cannon feel to our characters.

His campaign is in Brandon Sanderson's "Reckoners" universe (technically an alternate reality from the main once), and he wanted us to feel a bit absurd when it comes to our powers. My character is actually using bits from both Psionics and Supers.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
smurf
Banned

It was just the idea that the Power was so OTT. For less than 300 pts a character can move at the twice the speed of sound.

The quibble I had between 3e and 4e is the use of Talents in the latter. That is for the same Skill and stuff the 3e is IQ16 (albeit iirc... 75pts), where as 4e is bit more balanced with say IQ12 and Power Talent (40pts plus 20pts).
Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
It was just the idea that the Power was so OTT. For less than 300 pts a character can move at the twice the speed of sound.

T.
In 4e and with only a Basic Speed of 5 and thus 10(20 mph) in Flight you only need 6 levels of Extended Move (64x) to break Mach 2 (at high altitude anyway). Even if you feel like you have to go for 7 that's still only 180pts.

Min-maxing and optimizing the character would add some Fight Move instead and for combat effectiveness you would want more Base Speed for Dodging.

If you use Alternate Abilities you can reuse some of the pts you've put into what's basically a non-combat Move and shift them into offense or defense.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In 4e and with only a Basic Speed of 5 and thus 10(20 mph) in Flight you only need 6 levels of Extended Move (64x) to break Mach 2 (at high altitude anyway). Even if you feel like you have to go for 7 that's still only 180pts.

Min-maxing and optimizing the character would add some Fight Move instead and for combat effectiveness you would want more Base Speed for Dodging.

If you use Alternate Abilities you can reuse some of the pts you've put into what's basically a non-combat Move and shift them into offense or defense.
4e power level = St. Level 30 gives a bl of 180 lbs and a move of 30.

This is 150pts. To move quicker with enhanced move is 20pts to double

30x2 = 20pts
30x4 = 40pts (move 120)
30x8 = 60pts
30x16= 80pts
30x32= 100pts (move 960).

250pts for brute power.