Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2024, 11:29 AM   #1
King Leonidas

Default combining a Quarterstaff with a sling

to make a staff sling? would you add any penalties on this? what's your thoughts? easier to grapple? does the ranged weapon get increased damage?
King Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 12:01 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: combining a Quarterstaff with a sling

Statistics for the staff sling are already provided on p. 276 of the Basic Set and p. 76 of GURPS Low-Tech. I recommend checking there and then asking about any questions they don't answer.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 12:02 PM   #3
King Leonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Statistics for the staff sling are already provided on p. 276 of the Basic Set and p. 76 of GURPS Low-Tech. I recommend checking there and then asking about any questions they don't answer.
right cause that answers my question
Old 04-13-2024, 03:34 PM   #4
whswhs

Glad to be of help.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Leonidas View Post
to make a staff sling? would you add any penalties on this? what's your thoughts? easier to grapple? does the ranged weapon get increased damage?
Quote:
right cause that answers my question
Well it is where I would start, giving you the weight and vital stats.
If using a staff sling as a staff I would tie off the sling so its not loose and flopping around. Otherwise just use the matching stats for it as the mode changes, making sure weight matchs.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 10:05 PM   #6
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Glad to be of help.
You basically weren't.

KL, since the Staff Sling is essentially a Jo Staff with a sling attached, I'd look at the differences between a Jo and Quarterstaff, and then just apply those to "upgrade" a staff sling into a "quarter staff sling".

So I'd call it +1 damage, +1 ST required, no other differences. It's no easier or harder to grapple a staff sling that any other weapon you try to grab.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 11:05 PM   #7
tbone

As noted, Low-Tech's staff sling is a 2-lb stick that hurls 0.05-lb projectiles.

Switching to a longer, 4-lb stick, I'd imagine you could create the staff sling equivalent of a heavy sling, i.e., a "heavy staff sling" that hurls 1-lb projectiles.

But as far as I know, there isn't yet a published writeup for such a heavy staff sling. (And as I discuss here, details of GURPS' handling of slings confuses me all around...)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:04 AM   #8
King Leonidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
You basically weren't.

KL, since the Staff Sling is essentially a Jo Staff with a sling attached, I'd look at the differences between a Jo and Quarterstaff, and then just apply those to "upgrade" a staff sling into a "quarter staff sling".

So I'd call it +1 damage, +1 ST required, no other differences. It's no easier or harder to grapple a staff sling that any other weapon you try to grab.
so you would not remove the 2 bonus to parry or anything?. and where is the joe staff? one of my players are thinking that the thickness of the quarterstaff will cause to much air resistance as well.

Last edited by King Leonidas; 04-14-2024 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:20 AM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
You basically weren't.

There is never any statement how long the staff for the staff sling is; considering it doesn't have to stand up to bashing someone's skull, it could easily be just as long as the quarterstaff but less thick. Its high bulk of -6 certainly implies it's similar in size (Bulk is used for the Holdout penalty, and a quarterstaff is probably around -6 for a Holdout penalty). It should be roughly half of the weight of a quarterstaff (the sling portion is probably around the same 0.5 lb as a normal sling, making it a 1.5 lb stick; the quarterstaff has a pound of metal on it in the form of the two endcaps, so it would be a 3 lb stick), so a quarterstaff-length stick with 70% of the radius of a proper quarterstaff should suffice. If anything, the combination weapon should deal a bit less damage due to it requiring more energy to accelerate and also having more air resistance, but I think that would be fine to ignore.

Quote:
so you would not remove the 2 bonus to parry or anything?.
I wouldn't, I'd just boost the weight of the weapon by 0.5 lb (the weight of a sling) and the cost by $20 (the cost of a sling; apparently the staff is assumed to be free in this case) - although the generic Combination Gadget rules would instead call for +1 lb and +$10 (you use the 50% mark because you can't really use them as both at the same time). The GM might decide that the added weight is too much for the staff to be considered balanced enough for the +2 Parry to still apply (much as it doesn't apply for polearms). One solution there would be to boost the weight of the opposite metal cap a bit to get the two sides equal in weight; that would be +0.5 lb and +$2.50 or +1 lb and +$5, depending on if you go with my suggested +0.5 lb or the more generic +1 lb. Another option would be to remove the endcap on the sling-side, for -0.5 lb and -$2.50; if going with +1 lb for the sling, in this case you'd basically remove one endcap and double up the weight of the other, for no change in weight or price.

Last edited by Varyon; 04-14-2024 at 05:37 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:49 AM   #10
malloyd

Quote:
so you would not remove the 2 bonus to parry or anything?. and where is the joe staff? one of my players are thinking that the thickness of the quarterstaff will cause to much air resistance as well.
If you can swing it fast enough to hurt somebody, you can swing it fast enough to launch a projectile. The thickness of baseball or cricket bats do not seem to vastly add to air resistance or slow their swings, and anyway the parachute effect of a solid pouch would be considerably larger, and yet people use leather pouches anyway rather than string cradles that would let air flow through them.

I do think the sling should interfere with using the staff as a melee weapon a bit, but if you roll it up and tie it in place, or remove it, you should still get the parry bonus. You might lose a point of damage striking with that end of the staff though, since the shape you need for a decent release probably rules out a metal end cap. Wrapping and tying the sling up (or unwrapping it to ready it as a sling) will take a bit of effort, though with practice you can probably get it down to 5 seconds or so. Removing it entirely depends on how you attached it, and methods vary, but if you are planning to dual use, a loop knotted into a groove around the staff works fine, and you could use a knot that can be easily pulled to release it, or maybe even pop the loop out of the groove in no more than a Ready action. Though you probably still ought to demand the 5 seconds to tie it back on, assuming you didn't drop it on the ground and lose it when you popped it off.

On the alternate question, does a longer staff add anything to the effectiveness of the sling. Well maybe, but you could get most of the same "benefit" from [longer strings], and people usually don't because moving the release point even further above your head makes it even more difficult to hit close by targets. That's OK for a siege or anti-siege weapon where you are targeting an area or formation, but is a pretty serious drawback for hunting, target shooting or adventurer style skirmishes. Actual staff slings seem to be somewhat intermediate between jo and quarterstaff lengths though, so I think either works with the standard statistics - they might have slightly different ideal string lengths, but I think it's below the resolution of GURPS weapons whether your stick is 4 or 6 feet long.

Last edited by malloyd; 04-14-2024 at 07:58 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote