Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #161
gmjasongurps

Default Re: Combat Maneuvers Cheat Sheet

I am curious, has anyone compiled any cheat sheets printed horizontally?
i could make great use of something like that!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #162
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjasongurps View Post
I am curious, has anyone compiled any cheat sheets printed horizontally?
i could make great use of something like that!
I currently do not have a plan to update my sheets to landscape. But your request is noted (As I myself have bought a landscape GM screen...).
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #163
Deadite

I'm still really new to this game so bear with me if you will, and I'm also new to cheat sheets and other players supports.

So I downloaded the file and I'm wondering if this is a file for players to read upon or is it something you actually patch into another program and it will do all the combat calculation for you?

Last edited by Deadite; 08-07-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #164
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
I'm still really new to this game so bear with me if you will, and I'm also new to cheat sheets and other players supports.

So I downloaded the file and I'm wondering if this is a file for players to read upon or is it something you actually patch into another program and it will do all the combat calculation for you?
The sheet is meant to be printed out and will not do any combat calculations for you.

I use the Cheat Sheet as a reference for the numerous combat options GURPS offers. During play I as a gm or my players will - hopefully before their turn starts - look up stuff they didn't know by heart.

On the front page, in the red box, you have all the Maneuvers existing in GURPS Combat. In the light red section of the red box, are attack options. In the red extra effort section you can find those combat options that require you to pay an FP to be use.

In the blue box below, you have Active Defense options - things you can do if you get hit in combat. In the blue extra effort section you can find all those defense options that cost FP to use.

On the back side you can find a hit location and damage modifier table for humanoids. This is a combined hit location table from Basic Set, Martials Arts, Low-Tech and Horror. If you get his in a specific location on your body, you can look up the effects there.

Then there's a critical hit and miss table as well as a speed range table. Last but not least, there's a section explaining all the ranged and melee weapon statistics.

I hope this helps?

Cheers

Onkl
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #165
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
The sheet is meant to be printed out and will not do any combat calculations for you.

I use the Cheat Sheet as a reference for the numerous combat options GURPS offers. During play I as a gm or my players will - hopefully before their turn starts - look up stuff they didn't know by heart.

On the front page, in the red box, you have all the Maneuvers existing in GURPS Combat. In the light red section of the red box, are attack options. In the red extra effort section you can find those combat options that require you to pay an FP to be use.

In the blue box below, you have Active Defense options - things you can do if you get hit in combat. In the blue extra effort section you can find all those defense options that cost FP to use.

On the back side you can find a hit location and damage modifier table for humanoids. This is a combined hit location table from Basic Set, Martials Arts, Low-Tech and Horror. If you get his in a specific location on your body, you can look up the effects there.

Then there's a critical hit and miss table as well as a speed range table. Last but not least, there's a section explaining all the ranged and melee weapon statistics.

I hope this helps?

Cheers

Onkl
It does helped, now I'm absolutely sure it's something I desperately needed, considering how green I am to the game.

Thank you for doing this (:
Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #166
Onkl

Quote:
It does helped, now I'm absolutely sure it's something I desperately needed, considering how green I am to the game.

Thank you for doing this (:
I nearly stopped playing GURPS when I used all the combat options in the first game I ran.

Try to play a GURPS Lite game first and add additional combat options over time. Else, it is likely to lead to slow combat and frustration. In my case, it did :)

Cheers!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #167
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
I nearly stopped playing GURPS when I used all the combat options in the first game I ran.

Try to play a GURPS Lite game first and add additional combat options over time. Else, it is likely to lead to slow combat and frustration. In my case, it did :)

Cheers!
I'm thinking about making all of the options available and maybe creating some other ones? Is this something people who play GURPS would commonly do?

Like, force players to build a special ability into a poorer combat maneuver? Something dominating, like AoA to teleport your opponent into the dragon's lair. Instead of rolling for damage, you roll for succeeding the spell.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #168
Onkl

Quote:
I'm thinking about making all of the options available and maybe creating some other ones? Is this something people who play GURPS would commonly do?

Like, force players to build a special ability into a poorer combat maneuver? Something dominating, like AoA to teleport your opponent into the dragon's lair. Instead of rolling for damage, you roll for succeeding the spell.
I'm not trying to be impolite and will answer your question but please do not derail this thread any further. In this forum, there are many people that know a lot more about GURPS than I do and they are all willing to share their knowledge with you. So, if you have questions, create a new thread and ask them there please. This thread is to discuss the combat cheat sheet and improvements to it.

Now to your question:

There are certainly people out there that use custom maneuvers, I am not one of them. I would say that it is not something that GURPS players usually do, but then I do not know all the GURPS players. RAW (rules as written) when casting a spell in combat, a wizard will choose a concentrate maneuver to cast a spell.

Last edited by Onkl; 08-07-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: error...
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #169
apoc527

Quick question: where did you find the Digestive Tract hit location?

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #170
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Quick question: where did you find the Digestive Tract hit location?
Page 19 of Low-Tech: Instant Armour, in the list of Abdomen sub-locations.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, game aid, game aids