Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #131
JCurwen3

Default Re: Combat Maneuvers Cheat Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I just found a flaw in the Hit Locations section; in note 11, it says 'Other attacks cannot target the vitals', but crushing attacks can, as per note 18 and the last paragraph of p.137 in Martial Arts.
I've always wondered if that was only for shots to the kidneys or solar plexus... but then again those aren't differentiated hit locations, so technically it'd apply to any vitals.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #132
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
As we in Europe use ISO paper sizes, I designed the sheet in A4 format. I think when you print in on letter paper, it will be even smaller due to the form factor. As all printers can use ISO paper sizes as well as US paper sizes, you could try to print it on an A4 sheet, maybe the tiny increase in font size will be sufficient for you.

Cheers

Onkl
I wonder when will the US stop trying to use outmoded nonstandard measurements ;)

Now seriously, have you tried removing the "shrink to fit" option when printing it? it might help. Here, if i don't do that, I end up with letter pages scaled to 96% of normal size when trying to print them on A4 paper.

As for providing alternate sizes, I know what nightmare that can be. However, one very nice paper size is american comic book size (17 x 26 cm - 6 5/8" x 10 ¼" for those using ACU/Imperial), not for printing, but for displaying in a widescreen turned 90º. In my tablet (Asus eee Pad Transformer, with a 1280x800 10.1" screen) it maximizes screen real estate (Android 3+ uses 48 pixels on the bottom of the screen for the system bar).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #133
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I've always wondered if that was only for shots to the kidneys or solar plexus... but then again those aren't differentiated hit locations, so technically it'd apply to any vitals.
It's more that, if you target the vitals with a crushing attack, you are by definition striking at the solar plexus or the kidneys. You still can't target the lungs or heart with a crushing attack, but those aren't the sole definition of 'vitals'.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #134
Dammann

Are the damage type multipliers on this sheet already? I can't find it. I saw where the injury tolerance table was, but both would seem to fit on the injuries cheat sheet (page 3, I hope).
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #135
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
I'd like to tweak these ereader versions for adjusting them better to the screen of an iPad (there is a meaningful degree of unused space).

Anyway, thanks a lot for your effort, Onkl.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #136
Daeglan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I wonder when will the US stop trying to use outmoded nonstandard measurements ;)

Now seriously, have you tried removing the "shrink to fit" option when printing it? it might help. Here, if i don't do that, I end up with letter pages scaled to 96% of normal size when trying to print them on A4 paper.

As for providing alternate sizes, I know what nightmare that can be. However, one very nice paper size is american comic book size (17 x 26 cm - 6 5/8" x 10 ¼" for those using ACU/Imperial), not for printing, but for displaying in a widescreen turned 90º. In my tablet (Asus eee Pad Transformer, with a 1280x800 10.1" screen) it maximizes screen real estate (Android 3+ uses 48 pixels on the bottom of the screen for the system bar).

My understanding is we did the switchover at around 1860...It kinda got overshadowed by some people getting upset about other states allowing people to be owned and those states in a temper tantrum attacked the first states... Needless to say the business of killing each other was kind of distracting.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #137
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeglan View Post
My understanding is we did the switchover at around 1860...It kinda got overshadowed by some people getting upset about other states allowing people to be owned and those states in a temper tantrum attacked the first states... Needless to say the business of killing each other was kind of distracting.
True, although a little known fact is that some states in the North still had slaves, and Lincoln's famous Emancipation Proclamation only freed the slaves in the South (admittedly, that was the vast majority by far, but it wasn't all the slaves). And in the end, the war was much more than about slavery. After all, the US was a young federal union of states, and it had just won its independence by breaking away in what was essentially a localized civil war within the British Empire. All of the states voluntarily entered into that union (with the exception of some of the states that were created from former US territories, of course all having been taken from the natives), signed the Constitution, with no indication that it was supposed to be a "forever-contract". The Civil War eventually ended the atrocity of slavery in the US which was a good thing, but it is a bizarre footnote in the history of a nation that was founded in civil war by a coalition of independent British colonies and afterwards has at least superficially championed the cause of national "self-determination", that peoples have the right to be their own nations. Hard to reconcile.

Still, countries like the UK in the 20th century overhauled their entire currency to be decimalized, and much of Europe as a whole was able to muster the spirit and will to scrap their old currencies in favour of the euro (even if that and the whole EU and Euro Zone concept seems now to have been not so hot of an idea). Other nations have been able to make large scale sweeping changes to their economies, currencies, and measurements (including switching over to the metric system!) despite at times political instability and issues both domestic and foreign. Right now I believe the only states not having switched to the metric system are those in the USA and the state of Liberia (a nation descended from freed African American slaves)... and despite Liberia's crippling domestic problems, it's been in the process of switching itself to metric.

It's like there's something in the water in much of the US that makes it just slow to respond or show any real initiative, at least insofar as it comes to adopting any good ideas that come from outside its borders .

But I suppose this is all getting a bit off topic for this thread. Ideally we'd all use A4 instead of letter size paper is the point, I guess.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #138
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
But I suppose this is all getting a bit off topic for this thread. Ideally we'd all use A4 instead of letter size paper is the point, I guess.
But there was already a sweeping revolution in paper sizes in the US. Ronald Reagan mandated letter size for government use 30 years ago.

Although I did see an estimate that for NASA it would cost a prohibitively large portion of their budget to metricise.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 02-26-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #139
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Although I did see an estimate that for NASA it would cost a prohibitively large portion of their budget to metricise.
Much cheaper to just lose a Mars probe or two due to miscalculations :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
But there was already a sweeping revolution in paper sizes in the US. Ronald Reagan mandated letter size for government use 30 years ago.
All this talk of paper sizes is moot - the US uses the standard Letter size, most everyone else uses A4. The issue is to figure out how to deal with it.

For me, the font size is just too small, so I'll probably go with Printing as a Poster (in the Adobe print properties). This will automatically divide the pages into two; setting it to 150% zoom with 0.25 inch overlap results in a each page turning into two landscape pages with readable font sizes.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #140
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I just found a flaw in the Hit Locations section; in note 11, it says 'Other attacks cannot target the vitals', but crushing attacks can, as per note 18 and the last paragraph of p.137 in Martial Arts.
Thanks for this, it will be corrected in the next release.

As always, if you find something that's wrong, please let me know!

Cheers

Onkl

I myself did the same thing Eric suggested, I just printed it on a bigger size paper and got it laminated...
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, game aid, game aids