Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #21
beetle496

Default The Slab

Spike Dropper is also 1 BP.

The only “large” dropped weapon is The Slab, a Back Only Structure, for 3 BP. Single use.

When dropped, it creates a large (car size, like Foam) Wall Hazard which also provides cover. I am curious though, can the owner choose the orientation?

Before being deployed, it proved 5 hits to rear, same as the Wall takes to be destroyed. Once the (dropped) Wall takes those 5 hits, is it then replaced with a wreckage card (inverse of Spikes)? Or is it removed from play? If The Slab takes a hit or two before being dropped, do those count against what is needed to destroy it?
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #22
HeatDeath

Default Re: Good Build Combos?

House rules might be worth investigating, but there is no text on the card stating or implying that damage tokens on the card carry over to the obstacle token, or that the orientation when dropped is variable in any way from the orientation described in the dropped weapons rules.

Last edited by HeatDeath; 10-24-2021 at 12:37 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:17 AM   #23
beetle496

Other dropped weapons from the rear get the long orientation behind the car, which makes sense for gas/liquid/spikes.

The Slab having the long orientation implies it is part of the undercarriage dropping off. Which I guess it could be, but that does not explain why it provide back-facing armor. A spring-loaded back-plate that expands left/right makes more sense tactically and is easier to visualize how it might work physics-wise.

Probably I will wait to see if anyone uses it in play, and if they, what is that player’s assumption?
Old 10-25-2021, 07:44 AM   #24
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Other dropped weapons from the rear get the long orientation behind the car, which makes sense for gas/liquid/spikes.

The Slab having the long orientation implies it is part of the undercarriage dropping off. Which I guess it could be, but that does not explain why it provide back-facing armor. A spring-loaded back-plate that expands left/right makes more sense tactically and is easier to visualize how it might work physics-wise.

Probably I will wait to see if anyone uses it in play, and if they, what is that player’s assumption?
You're carrying a slab of concrete around upright on the back of your car. Your crew pushes a button to let it fall flat behind. Seems reasonable enough.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #25
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
You're carrying a slab of concrete around upright on the back of your car. Your crew pushes a button to let it fall flat behind. Seems reasonable enough.
Damage doesn't cary over because damage to the Slab while it is attached is damage to the attachment mechanism. Once you drop it the Slab itself starts to take damage.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #26
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Damage doesn't cary over because damage to the Slab while it is attached is damage to the attachment mechanism. Once you drop it the Slab itself starts to take damage.
That makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
You're carrying a slab of concrete around upright on the back of your car.
I disagree that an 8' vertical column of concrete ‘seems reasonable enough’ to be attached to the back of car. The resultant ‘wall’ token has substantial 3D measurements (including height, since it obscures vision).

I am visualizing a spring-loaded version of this:
https://www.tapconet.com/product/ram...barrier-system
Old 10-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #27
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
I disagree that an 8' vertical column of concrete ‘seems reasonable enough’ to be attached to the back of car.
Oh, it's not even slightly reasonable. It's a gimmick weapon from (IIRC) the 2008 "DeathRace" Jason Statham movie, where it was referred to as "The Tombstone".

There was some discussion of it here back in the day. The consensus developed that it was, in point of fact, completely ridiculous, and had no place in any serious Car Wars game.

This is me not caring about that consensus. I think it's a couple of different kinds of delightful and awesome. Uncle Al has several in the back. For regular customers only.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #28
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
There was some discussion of it here back in the day. The consensus developed that it was, in point of fact, completely ridiculous, and had no place in any serious Car Wars game.
It is completely ridiculous. At the time the film came out, my SO was a programmer for a steel mill, which made armor-grade steel (among other things). We calculated the weight of "The Tombstone"; as described, it would have weighed 3.5 *TONS*....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #29
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
serious Car Wars game.
Oxymoron!!!
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #30
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Oxymoron!!!
You've never been in one of my campaigns.... :)

Still working on "converting" my old designs to 6E....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.

Last edited by 43Supporter; 10-27-2021 at 01:51 PM.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote