Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
johoohno

Default [Fantasy] Assassin Backstab?!

If I were to create something advantageous for assassins when backstabbing someone, what would it look like, should I use skills or advantages? What I'm looking for is something that gives extra damage (and/or extra skill) when sneaking up from behind on people and attacking them.
johoohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
blacksmith

Default Re: [Fantasy] Assassin Backstab?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johoohno View Post
If I were to create something advantageous for assassins when backstabbing someone, what would it look like, should I use skills or advantages? What I'm looking for is something that gives extra damage (and/or extra skill) when sneaking up from behind on people and attacking them.
Well in that situation you can go with a telegraphed attack as they can not defend themselves.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Mailanka

GURPS has no real need for an obvious "backstab" advantage. When attacking from stealth, your opponent does not get a defense, so you have all the time in the world for an Evaluate, an All-Out Attack and/or a Telegraphic Attack (GURPS Martial Arts), which will help overcome the penalties for a knife-stab to the vitals, which is what a D&D-style "Backstab" really represents: A knife to the kidneys or lungs, rather than a random slash at the shoulder, chest or ribcage.

Even so, Dungeon Fantasy uses "Striking Strength (Only when making surprise attacks -60%)," and I imagine you could use a similar variation on some Innate Attacks (with or without the muscle-powered enhancement)
Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Use Telegraphic Attack. Use perks like Long-Distance Telegram, Rolling Stone, Master's Watchful Eye etc. to improve your Evaluates and TAs. Definitely take Targeted Attack: Vitals or somesuch.

Maybe also take Focused Fury (if you want to spend FP on damage) and/or Rules Exemption to allow TAs to benefit from wider criticals.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
johoohno

You guys are awesome, I don't even get the chance to finish another post before I find a lot of answers. I'll flip through my MA then (the only book I haven't looked through yet) and take a look at telegraphic attack. Though I feel Mailanka's idea useful too, then I won't need a specific skill for the attack, only good skill in stealth.
johoohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Use perks like Long-Distance Telegram, Rolling Stone, Master's Watchful Eye etc. to improve your Evaluates and TAs.
Perhaps I'm being dense, but where do those perks exist? I looked in both MA and PU2 and didn't see any reference...
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
Perhaps I'm being dense, but where do those perks exist? I looked in both MA and PU2 and didn't see any reference...
Mostly on the forums somewhere. I think one of them was in a pyramid article recently, the one with battlesuit fighting styles.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
Here.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Another gem for this, is the Dirty Fighting perk from Action 3, that gives +1 to any feint or attack delivered as a "sucker punch" before combat begins. While it's intended to model action movie surprise punches, I think that it woul fit fantasy assassins perfectly.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
mlangsdorf

Dungeon Fantasy also offers an -80% modifier to Striking Strength for "surprise attacks from behind when the target doesn't even know you're there." A couple of levels of that, a few points in the Targeted Attack (Swing/Neck), and a Telegraphed Attack from behind and you'll be backstabbing your foes into decapitation.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, martial arts, sentry removal