Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #1
kramis

Default Lying down to standing

Is there some way to go from lying down to standing in one Change of Posture maneuver (for example with acrobatics)? How about as a step?
kramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Lying down to standing

I'm pretty sure that you could use Acrobatics to go from prone to stand up as a standard move manouver, in 3e. I can't remember if you can in 4e, but in my games I allow it and it works fine.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
HeroPenguin

Martial Arts has rules about this, but it's as Maz said, and you assumed. Make an Acrobatics roll (IIRC, at a penalty equal to your posture penalty) to flip up to standing (or crouching) in a single maneuver.
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Nikolai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
I'm pretty sure that you could use Acrobatics to go from prone to stand up as a standard move manouver, in 3e.
I am pretty sure that neither 3e nor any 4e book published so far (that is, excluding Martial Arts for 4e) has explicit rules for that.
If this is not true, I'd be quite interested in a page reference.

However, I allow(ed) an Acrobatics roll (at a slight penalty) to go from Lying down to Standing in one turn if you are at no more than light encumbrance as a house rule both in 3e and 4e.
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Martial Arts for 4e will have rules for this. These represent the first non-house rules for it in GURPS. The penalty for doing this in combat while still keeping all of one's defenses and retaining the ability to retreat will be rather huge. Done "all-out" with no thought to being smacked in combat will allow a bonus that reduces the penalty to very modest levels. Thus, breakdancers and traceurs, who consider this an "easy" move, will be right. And martial-arts masters, who consider this a really bad idea in a real fight, will also be right.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Would you give a simular bonus to those with super ability light flight, and Control Gravity to pull off the manuiver?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
vitruvian

I would think if you actually had Flight, changing posture relative to somebody bound by gravity would be fairly trivial, and doable as part of simply taking off, since you could simply lift up as opposed to clambering to your feet.

Unless your Flight required you to jump or take a running start in the first place, that is. [Cue the kid teaching Ralph how to take off in the Greatest American Hero pilot]
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
I would think if you actually had Flight, changing posture relative to somebody bound by gravity would be fairly trivial, and doable as part of simply taking off, since you could simply lift up as opposed to clambering to your feet.
Don't maneuvers require a DX or some other skill roll? That sounds like the equivalent of an extremely tight turn, even if your velocity is zero.

The main advantage of flight is that ground-based obstacles don't affect you.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai
I am pretty sure that neither 3e nor any 4e book published so far (that is, excluding Martial Arts for 4e) has explicit rules for that.
If this is not true, I'd be quite interested in a page reference.
Couldn't find it, so I guess it's an old houserule I have always taken for granted. eh, funny how things often turn out that way after years of playing.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
Couldn't find it, so I guess it's an old houserule I have always taken for granted. eh, funny how things often turn out that way after years of playing.
This is one of those wierd Memes, lots of people seem to think that this was 3e rule.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote