Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Thedoctorking

Default GURPS on Roll20 or similar platform

My gaming group hasn't been hanging out in person for months now, and probably won't be able to play in person for more months. We've been whiling away the time with DnD on Roll20, but it is (still) an unsatisfactory system. I'm not seeing GURPS as available on Roll20, is there some option for online play?
Thedoctorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
rlbeaver

Default Re: GURPS on Roll20 or similar platform

From what I understand Fantasy Grounds has the most "support". While I own Fantasy Grounds, I've not cared about using it to play (mostly because I'd have to buy the Ultimate edition to allow players who don't own it to play.).

The Mook has a module for foundryVTT, which is what I recommend if you're not happy with Roll20. It's interface seems a bit more intuitive and easier than Fantasy Grounds to me.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
bocephus

There is a pretty solid Fan support on Fantasy Grounds.

If you do a search for "Fantasy Grounds" it should get you to what you want to know (or at least the right people to look for).
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Dalin

I've been using Roll20 for GURPS since COVID kicked in last March. There is a GURPS character sheet in the system, though we don't really use it. Players maintain their character sheets the old-fashioned way (in GCS, of course!) and we use Roll20 just for tactical maps and visuals. It's easy to upload a map and slap a hex grid on it. Gridless maps are increasingly common.

We typically use Zoom or Google Meet for voice and video. Some players use Roll20 to roll dice. Others just roll real dice. (We're all adults, so I'm not worried about cheating.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
GnomesofZurich

Like Dalin, I've been using Roll20 for GURPS since March. My group does use the GURPS character sheet available, it's handy because you can click on your skill, attack, attribute, etc. and it will roll with whatever modifiers you enter. The maps can be configured for hexes. It does enough for my purposes.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
dcarson

There is a gurps bot (Pseudobot) for discord. Will do

Quote:
Announce, BasicLift, BrokenBlade, ChangePrefix, CriticalHit, CriticalMiss, DollarsToCoins, DontSueMe, DumpLog, DungeonFantasySlam, DungeonFantasyThrow, Explosion, Fall, Feedback, Fnord, FrightCheck, GatherEnergy, GenerateCharacter, GenerateTreasure, GenerateWorld, GrandUnifiedHitLocationExplosion, GrandUnifiedHitLocationTable, GrapplingEncumbranceTable, Help, HeroicBackground, HitLocation, IronGURPS, Jump, LastGasp, LastGaspHighResolution, LastGaspNonPlayerCharacter, LiftingStrength, LongDistance, Lookup, LookupRefresh, Malfunction, ManageAnnouncements, ManageGuildBlocks, ManageUserBlocks, NormalizeToDice, Probability, QuickContest, QuickContestABunch, QuickContestABunchIdentical, Range, RateOfFireBonus, Reaction, RegularContest, RobustnessThreshold, Roll, RollABunch, RollABunchAgainst, RollAgainst, RollStats, SizeModifier, Slam, Statistics, StrikingStrength, Throw, Timer
Discord doesn't have map stuff but my group mainly plays without in person and you can paste images.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedoctorking View Post
My gaming group hasn't been hanging out in person for months now, and probably won't be able to play in person for more months. We've been whiling away the time with DnD on Roll20, but it is (still) an unsatisfactory system. I'm not seeing GURPS as available on Roll20, is there some option for online play?
Gurps has got a lot of support on Fantasy Grounds. Fantasy Grounds unity has just gone full release.
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
ham2anv

We just made characters for a new GURPS campaign last night, and we'll be using Roll20. The GURPS character sheet there is quite good, though it does take some work to set up.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
InexplicableVic

I've played and GM'd GURPS (DFRPG) on both Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds Unity. Roll20, I think, is better for dynamic lighting (legacy, not the new, broken system), but that seems to be about it. It may be somewhat more intuitive to use, so for beginners, a bit more user-friendly.

FGU has pretty darn good GURPS support with the added GURPS ruleset. The look is a bit weird compared to Roll20, but I prefer it as a GM. There are a few wonky things insofar as automation is concerned, but on the whole, it's good.

I am excited about Foundry VTT as an alternative, but haven't used it yet. Chris Normand is working on a GURPS module or ruleset or whatever it is called that looks like it can import characters from GURPS Character Sheet and does a fantastic job of making all the various abilities clickable, as well as modifiers on rolls easily available (he has YouTube videos on his progress). I *think* that has the most potential but have not yet used it.

It really depends upon what you want out of the VTT. If Dynamic Lighting as players explore is super important, you pretty much need to go with Roll20, although Foundry may have that also. If that is less of a concern, FGU is pretty good. Price is also important: FGU is either monthly or, I think, a one-time fee. Roll20 is monthly or annual. Foundry VTT ($50) is a one-time fee and pretty inexpensive.

If you just want to have a map and have players roll dice, Roll20's free account probably works just fine.
InexplicableVic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
Polkageist

I've definitely been interested in checking out the fantasy grounds GURPS support.

However, the Roll20 site has recently released their new dynamic lighting system and it's... it's good. I've been running a DF dungeon crawler for the last few months and the atmosphere introduced by having the lighting system cut off movement and vision along the dungeon walls has been fantastic. Monsters can jump out from around corners, the players can get lost...

I'm going to shoot to have a race against time through the twisty passages of the pirate ship they're on while it sinks. Because their vision is limited and the map isn't backfilled they could actually get lost-lost. :D

I'm not sure if Fantasy Grounds does that kind of lighting, I'm pretty sure they do have some sort of lighting engine if I'm reading their faq's right. I'm curious as to what other folks have thought of it.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote