Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2019, 12:56 AM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Fanzine] The Path of Cunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
yet another setting which makes magic look more like psi in Babylon 5's Psi-Corps than as *magic* in magical settings.
Can you explain this a bit? I've never watched Babylon 5 - it appeared after I had given up TV - so I'm not sure what you mean.

The setting the article is about has both magic-as-powers and several schools of ritual magic.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
Prince Charon

Quote:
I too found it the most interesting read, but also one that poked the most at my pet peeve: yet another setting which makes magic look more like psi in Babylon 5's Psi-Corps than as *magic* in magical settings.
That was not the impression that I got, so I am also curious about how you came to that conclusion - and I have seen a lot of Babylon 5.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:03 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Can you explain this a bit? I've never watched Babylon 5 - it appeared after I had given up TV - so I'm not sure what you mean.

The setting the article is about has both magic-as-powers and several schools of ritual magic.
Some hallmarks:
  • Huge involvement of secretive government organisations in the topic of magic.
  • Witchhunt apologia.
  • The suggestion of a register which is suspiciously similar to the psi-corps register: on paper you're not forced to join, but in practice the coercion is implied to be huge.
  • Plans for wide-scale governmental recruitment and implicitly the accompanying propaganda.
  • Hints of the governmental magical organisation lacking transparency and public accountability.

These are some of the things that are big differences between how magical settings tend to treat magic and how B5 treated psi (though lately I've seen some fantasy settings that imitate B5 in its treatment of magic, such as Dragon Age).

Unrelated to the above, but related to the fanzine in general: why are all words spelled like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Path of Cunning
I f m a g i c i a n s b e c o m e c o m m o n , s a y , m o r e t h a n
0 . 1 % o f t h e p o p u l a t i o n , t h e p o l i c e w i l l b e a b l e
t o r e c r u i t e n o u g h t o s o l v e t h i s p r o b l e m .
It's hard for people, hard for software, and super-hard for people using accessibility software.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 AM   #14
RogerBW

Quote:
Unrelated to the above, but related to the fanzine in general: why are all words spelled like this?
What reading software are you using to produce this result? (Might be best taken to PM.)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
What reading software are you using to produce this result? (Might be best taken to PM.)
Huh, this is interesting.
I discovered it by simply trying to search for a word in Sumatra PDF, it not coming up, me trying to copy a word and discovering that the text has spaces between each letter like that. I've been using Sumatra for years and I haven't seen that happen with other PDFs (e.g. SJGames' or PHS' books).

The issue doesn't come up in Acrobat, so now I wonder what's so peculiar about this PDF that it makes the usually-reliable piece of software stumble like that. But if it happened to one, it might happen to others. I mean obviously it's not your fault, as you can't be expected to test all possible combinations, but it's still an issue that's of some interest to look into.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I discovered it by simply trying to search for a word in Sumatra PDF, it not coming up, me trying to copy a word and discovering that the text has spaces between each letter like that. I've been using Sumatra for years and I haven't seen that happen with other PDFs (e.g. SJGames' or PHS' books).
This is odd. I use Sumatra, and I'm not seeing that. What program were you pasting copied text into?
Old 09-09-2019, 04:38 AM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
This is odd. I use Sumatra, and I'm not seeing that. What program were you pasting copied text into?
Notepad, Windows Run, the browser's text boxes (Vivaldi) all had the same effect. I'll check for updates and see if that changes anything. Yep, updating the version fixed it.

I'm very curious why this specific document had this issue and whether it's a thing that can affect other software.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 09-09-2019 at 04:41 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:54 AM   #18
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Some hallmarks:
  • Huge involvement of secretive government organisations in the topic of magic.
  • Witchhunt apologia.
  • The suggestion of a register which is suspiciously similar to the psi-corps register: on paper you're not forced to join, but in practice the coercion is implied to be huge.
  • Plans for wide-scale governmental recruitment and implicitly the accompanying propaganda.
  • Hints of the governmental magical organisation lacking transparency and public accountability.
Well, this is a GURPS campaign set during WWII, where the PCs and their opponents have been in intelligence services, special operations units and the like. There was no public awareness of magic being real at the start of the war and Appendix A really was the first public statement acknowledging it by any government. The secretive government organisations are the only ones with any practical expertise.

Several adventures have been about amateur occultists who'd made up their own systems of ritual magic and got themselves killed or otherwise created major trouble using them. The paper isn't talking about magical training exclusively for government service, but training as part of the general education system, so as to allow magic to become part of society without lots of accidents. It isn't "witch-hunt apologia" but trying to avoid people getting killed by their neighbours' unwise experiments.

There's no deliberate parallel to the B5 psi-corps, because I didn't know of that. I don't see where you get large-scale governmental recruitment, though this may be a terminology issue: the British police of 1945 weren't under the direct control of central government, but under local government.

There isn't a governmental magical organisation described: the implication is that the various branches of government will recruit their own magicians if they can, but nobody knows how many magicians there will be, so making plans isn't practical yet.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:02 AM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Notepad, Windows Run, the browser's text boxes (Vivaldi) all had the same effect. I'll check for updates and see if that changes anything. Yep, updating the version fixed it.

I'm very curious why this specific document had this issue and whether it's a thing that can affect other software.
I suspect that something was fooling Sumatra into copying text to the clipboard in two-bytes-per-character format and labelling it as one-byte-per-character format. I can't find anything in the Sumatra release history about this, but that document does not list every change. What was the previous version you were running?

The PDF was generated from Libre Office: Roger knows more about that than me.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:16 AM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I suspect that something was fooling Sumatra into copying text to the clipboard in two-bytes-per-character format and labelling it as one-byte-per-character format. I can't find anything in the Sumatra release history about this, but that document does not list every change. What was the previous version you were running?

The PDF was generated from Libre Office: Roger knows more about that than me.
It was 2.something, now it's 3.1.2 ×64; I wonder why the two-byte copying happened specifically with that document though.

Tags
fanzine, path of cunning, the path of cunning