Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
Ms Monny

Default Noob question: charity

Hi all

So, Ive played a total of 3 games with my boys. There are a few issues that we are working through but one of the main ones we came across last night was the charity part. I was the lowest level of the three and my son had more than 5 cards in his hand, so he gave two to me....but that made me have more than 5 in my hand (some class/race and monsters). What do I do?? I ended up discarding my race/class that was in play just so I could use some in my hand.

Is this the correct thing to do??

BTW, I love this game, and so does my sons....but we are too kind and don't use too many cards against each other.....except for last night, the last game. Son was about to defeat a monster but my other son didn't want him to, so he was adding to the monsters level and because I wanted the game to finish (it was late), I was helping by adding to my sons level (used Pretty Balloons etc).
Now, I presume this can happen as well??

TIA
Ms Monny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Noob question: charity

Charity only happens at the end of your turn. At any other time, you may have as many cards in your hand as you like.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
Ms Monny

Yes, we did the'charity' thing at the end of his turn and he handed me 2 cards (me being the lowest level) to make his hand 5 cards. I then had too many cards and as I am the only one at the lowest level, I can't give them to anyone else....
so what do I do when I end up with too many cards, being the lowest level? By discarding my race that was in play, just so I could use up what was in my hand, is that what I am meant to do?
Old 07-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You don't have to do ANYTHING at that moment. You do not have to worry about hand size until the end of your own turn.

If you are the lowest-Level player and have too many cards in your hand at the end of your turn, you can just discard extra cards out of your hand until you are down to five.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
BTW, I love this game, and so does my sons....but we are too kind and don't use too many cards against each other.....except for last night, the last game. Son was about to defeat a monster but my other son didn't want him to, so he was adding to the monsters level and because I wanted the game to finish (it was late), I was helping by adding to my sons level (used Pretty Balloons etc).
Now, I presume this can happen as well??
Just to touch on this: Whether you are in the combat or not, you can aid or hinder either side by adding or subtracting from a side's combat strength by playing such cards.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Ms Monny

Okay. Thats where the confusion was.....so if you are NOT the lowest level, at the end of your turn if you have more than 5 you pass the extra on to the lowest level. If you are the lowest level, at the end of the turn if you have more than 5 you DISCARD the extras. The rules didn't actually say this and I was not understanding the situation.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
Ms Monny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Just to touch on this: Whether you are in the combat or not, you can aid or hinder either side by adding or subtracting from a side's combat strength by playing such cards.
so, you can give cards to a lower level (charity) that are can hinder their progress? Because they are in the hand, they are not in play, and can be discarded anyway, so how can it add or subtract from a sides combat strength?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
OneWoolyWombat

The first few times playing can be a bit confusing with all the choices. When you get cards during charity you don't have to do anything right away. You can save them until your turn.
If there are several people playing you could use the cards you got during charity to affect the battles with the monsters. But you don't have to.
You could also just hold them and wait for your turn.
After all your actions are over on your turn, if you are the lowest level, and you have more than 5 cards, you just discard down to 5.
There are a couple of great demo videos, one on the sjgames site here:
http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/demo.html

Another can be found searching YouTube
OneWoolyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
Brf

Quote:
so, you can give cards to a lower level (charity) that are can hinder their progress? Because they are in the hand, they are not in play, and can be discarded anyway, so how can it add or subtract from a sides combat strength?
No. You cannot give charity during combat. Munchkinman is referring to playing cards into the combat. You can play one-shot items or modifiers into someone elses combat to help or hinder either side.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
No. You cannot give charity during combat. Munchkinman is referring to playing cards into the combat. You can play one-shot items or modifiers into someone elses combat to help or hinder either side.
Brf is correct, I was responding to the second half of your post, where you seemed to be asking if it was okay for you to increase your son's combat strength by playing one-shot Items which specifically say they can be played in any combat to assist either side.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote