Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Frog

Default 2-player Munchkin Quest?

Are there any special rules needed for a 2-player (non-coop) pvp game?

I've only played the game once at the FLGS and I remember you rolling a colored die to assign monsters. Basically Most of the time since there would be less players you would just end up assigning the monster to yourself right? It seemed like it would make no sense to ever assign a new monster to any other color if you had the choice as it would give other players more chances to level up. Would you only use 2 colored bases in 2-player?

What tweaks would work best for playing 2-player?

(I showed the game to my wife yesterday and she thought it looked fun, so I think we will get it)

Last edited by Frog; 03-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Sydney

Default Re: 2-player Munchkin Quest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Are there any special rules needed for a 2-player (non-coop) pvp game?

I've only played the game once at the FLGS and I remember you rolling a colored die to assign monsters. Basically Most of the time since there would be less players you would just end up assigning the monster to yourself right? It seemed like it would make no sense to ever assign a new monster to any other color if you had the choice as it would give other players more chances to level up. Would you only use 2 colored bases in 2-player?

(I showed the game to my wife yesterday and she thought it looked fun, so I think we will get it)
I play it fairly regularly with my wife only, we just play it straight (only using 2 colors, one for each player), and you don't have to assign the monster to just your color...until the other player runs out of bases.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
capnq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
It seemed like it would make no sense to ever assign a new monster to any other color if you had the choice as it would give other players more chances to level up. Would you only use 2 colored bases in 2-player?
If you can't beat the monster, you assign it to someone else who can't beat it, either, leaving your bases free to go on other monsters that you can beat.

The rules explicitly say that you only use as many colors as there are players (p.9, Monster Ownership and Targets).
Quote:
None are needed. MQ handles two players just fine.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Jaysun

Every time I play it is mostly just my wife & I. We never have any problems.

eckSERMONATOR - evolve your thinking
Jaysun is offline   Reply With Quote