Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
Azinctus

Default Panic Spell and area spells

I've become confused by the Panic Spell in Gurps Magic P.134.

I've got a player who wants to move the area around with his character frightening off anyone he approaches.

Does the area persist for the duration of the spell or just the Panic in the subjects who fail their resistance check?

Can you move an area spell? the Panic Spell seems to allow the caster to move around possibly herding the subjects if the spell.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
lovej

Default Re: Panic Spell and area spells

I am the guy who is using the panic spell, Azintus is trying to rule on it.

what I am attempting to do, is cast the panic spell and charge a mob, so they break, and or allow me to run though them. (assuming of course they fail there save) Is this how the spell works, or have I ran into something I shouldn't have..

Last edited by lovej; 10-11-2007 at 05:58 PM.
lovej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Kazander

No, you cannot move an Area spell, any more than you can change the subject of a Regular spell halfway through it's duration. It is cast on a (static) area, not on a person, so it does not move with that person.

The spell persists for the duration, affecting any new subjects that may move into the area.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
HANZO

Although a spell that could do that would be cool. Like a dread gaze spell. or some such.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander
No, you cannot move an Area spell, any more than you can change the subject of a Regular spell halfway through it's duration. It is cast on a (static) area, not on a person, so it does not move with that person.

The spell persists for the duration, affecting any new subjects that may move into the area.
Actually, this is not entirely correct. An area spell can be moved, but it requires casting Displace Spell, Magic p124 (and don't forget that the caster's own spells resist at a -5). So it is possible, though difficult, to move the spell.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Azinctus

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander
I'm a bit surprised by that. If I cast a bravery area, I could have hundreds of people walk through it and then maintain bravery on hundreds of subjects, while still adding more people?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Dwarf99

it would be interesting to have that effect on a magic item so that you could move the area with you...
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Area spells generally produce an instantaneous flash of magic that works on everyone in the area right now, and then leaves them affected for the duration no matter where they go . . . while new arrivals in the area aren't affected, because the flash of magic is done. Only spells that explicitly state that they cause some persistent effect in the area for the entire duration actually do.

Thus, when you cast Panic, only the people in the area when the spell goes off are affected. After that, those people remain affected for the duration no matter where they run to, even if it's out of the area . . . which is why the caster can walk around and have them flee. However, there's no "magical area" ongoing for the duration, so no new victims can be affected.

In short, most Area spells are like casting a Regular spell on each individual in the area. They aren't generally persistent effects that imbue the patch of ground itself unless they say so (like, say, Create Fire).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
In short, most Area spells are like casting a Regular spell on each individual in the area. They aren't generally persistent effects that imbue the patch of ground itself unless they say so (like, say, Create Fire).
Just to clarify: As a maintainable spell, shouldn't Panic be one of the exceptions (unlike the related spells, Fear and Terror)?

Bravery is not an exception, and only produces an instant effect as described.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Maintenance has nothing to do with it. You're maintaining the spell on all those original victims -- like a Regular spell -- and not on the area. As a general rule, Area spells are simply a way to mass-cast Regular spells on lots of people. Very few Area spells create a persistent zone of magic, and those that do usually say so.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote