Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #121
Plane

Default Re: I need tips on how to win a fight in fantasy.

The issue is moreso that when that section gets referenced, it's often in a plural way which like the title, uses separate terms for separate aspects of a usually-paired thing.

"Stunning" is clearly a distinct thing, so "Knockdown" seems like a unique situation which usually leads to someone being stunned.

We know that being stunned doesn't automatically knock you down (otherwise Affliction and Fright Check would be super cool) so what about the reverse? Would someone with "Immune to Stunning" not have to make Knockdown checks?

I think since it's more like "knockdown causes an automatic stun" more than "stunning causes and automatic knockdown" so I imagine you'd still make that HT roll and fall prone, just not be automatically stunned, if you had that kind of Immunity?

I think B420 supports that in saying A failed knockdown roll can cause “stun,” as the verb is "can" rather than "will".

On the other hand, I can't think of a situation where you would fail a knockdown roll and not be stunned, because if you have Immune to Pain (higher version of High Pain Threshold in Powers: The Weird pg 23) it...
"lets you ignore knockdown, physical stun".

I guess that means since Judo Throw causes 'physical stun' too that judo-stun is pain-based? It also forces you into a prone position...

B484 mentions "Knockdown and Stunning: A non-sentient artifact ignores these effects" the plurality meaning they are separate effects, right?

B420's description of Mental Stun also I think treats them differently:
This sort of stunning works as described above, but you must make an IQ roll,

It doesn't seem like "as above" would refer to "fall prone .. drop it" unless B393 (surprise attacks) missed describing the effect of anyone who is surprised falling to the ground and dropping their weapons.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retreat, slip