Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 03:01 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default New Quirks: Availability through Brainbugs, Psychosurgery and Memetic Counselling?

Greetings, all!

Okay, so now we have lots of new Quirks, some of them pretty cool. Some of them actually useful. So is it possible to gain them through Psychosurgery, Memetic Counselling, and/or Brainbugs? E.g. Decisive is kinda neat for officers, and extra neat if it's switchable.
Methodical is also very occasionally useful. Ditto Mind-Numbing Magnetism. IOW, some of them are very nice if you can switch them on/off in advance - something that brainbugs can do (and probably AI modular abilities should logically be able to).

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
The Eye of Eclipse Phase. A Discord server focusing on Roleplaying, Sci-Fi, Transhumanism, and discussion of other assorted topics, from tech to boardgames, from politics to philosophy.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: New Quirks: Availability through Brainbugs, Psychosurgery and Memetic Counselling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
E.g. Decisive is kinda neat for officers, and extra neat if it's switchable.
Switchable quirks would be perfectly good Controllable Disadvantage perks.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Phil Masters
 
Phil Masters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: U.K.
Default Re: New Quirks: Availability through Brainbugs, Psychosurgery and Memetic Counselling

"Switchable Disadvantage" is an established perk; no reason why it shouldn't encompass quirks.
__________________
--
Phil Masters
Creator of The Small Folk - Wainscot Urban Fantasy Roleplaying.
Discworld Roleplaying Game author, Transhuman Space Line Editor.
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: New Quirks: Availability through Brainbugs, Psychosurgery and Memetic Counselling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
"Switchable Disadvantage" is an established perk; no reason why it shouldn't encompass quirks.
AFAIK it normally comes with a Will/HT roll required for activation. And I also recall some objections to just slapping NDRR on Perks.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
The Eye of Eclipse Phase. A Discord server focusing on Roleplaying, Sci-Fi, Transhumanism, and discussion of other assorted topics, from tech to boardgames, from politics to philosophy.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #5
Phil Masters
 
Phil Masters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: U.K.
Default Re: New Quirks: Availability through Brainbugs, Psychosurgery and Memetic Counselling

It would seem perfectly reasonable to replace the Will/HT roll with some other kind of trigger. (A hypnotic technique, electromagnetic deep brain stimulation, a spoonful of live yoghurt to trip a biochemical switch...) Or just dump the need for a trigger when all that get instantiated is a quirk-level feature.

This is a one-point perk we're talking about, remember. Getting all rules-lawyer about something which belongs in the fuzzy "GM's judgement" zone seems like missing the point.
__________________
--
Phil Masters
Creator of The Small Folk - Wainscot Urban Fantasy Roleplaying.
Discworld Roleplaying Game author, Transhuman Space Line Editor.
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Astromancer
On Notice
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: New Quirks: Availability through Brainbugs, Psychosurgery and Memetic Counselling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
It would seem perfectly reasonable to replace the Will/HT roll with some other kind of trigger. (A hypnotic technique, electromagnetic deep brain stimulation, a spoonful of live yoghurt to trip a biochemical switch...) Or just dump the need for a trigger when all that get instantiated is a quirk-level feature.

This is a one-point perk we're talking about, remember. Getting all rules-lawyer about something which belongs in the fuzzy "GM's judgement" zone seems like missing the point.
Of course a given quirk or perk may be favored by a religious and/or philosophical group. Being able to turn quirks and perks on and off at will could aid in certain types of undercover work.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Phil Masters
 
Phil Masters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: U.K.
Default Re: New Quirks: Availability through Brainbugs, Psychosurgery and Memetic Counselling

Given that a lot of disads can be temporarily induced by nanotech treatments in TS, doing the same with (some) quirks should be perfectly feasible. Going through the new PDF and noting which would be reasonable candidates is left as an exercise... But anything that's specifically marked as the quirk-level version of a nanotech-inducible disad would of course be on the list.
__________________
--
Phil Masters
Creator of The Small Folk - Wainscot Urban Fantasy Roleplaying.
Discworld Roleplaying Game author, Transhuman Space Line Editor.
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Astromancer
On Notice
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: New Quirks: Availability through Brainbugs, Psychosurgery and Memetic Counselling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Given that a lot of disads can be temporarily induced by nanotech treatments in TS, doing the same with (some) quirks should be perfectly feasible. Going through the new PDF and noting which would be reasonable candidates is left as an exercise... But anything that's specifically marked as the quirk-level version of a nanotech-inducible disad would of course be on the list.
Would a device that lets someone quickly and reliable change accents (with no chance of slipping out of the accent) be possible? It's easier to learn a language than to learn to speak exactly like a real native speaker. So the ability to get the accent perfect would really aid a spy.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brainbugs, memetic counselling, modular ability, perks, power-ups 6, psychosurgery, quirks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.