Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Seneschal
 
Seneschal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pula, Istria, Croatia
Default [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

So, I'm currently playing a Magneto-like mage in a fantasy campaign, with Telekinesis 35 (Magnetic, -50%) being his primary advantage. I realized that giving him a huge metal bow rated for ST 35 might be really effective, but I'm having trouble scaling it up.

The only metal bow that I found in the books is the tubular bow from Low Tech, but it's designed to be both small and light, letting the steel's tensile strength compensate for how short the bow and the draw length are. I'm not sure if it's in the spirit of the entry to just scale up the numbers.

Now, Low Tech Companion 2 has rules for enlarging weapons. It pretty neatly puts ST 35 as suited for SM+3 wielders. Nothing outright bars me from making a SM+0 bow rated for ST 35, but the campaign setting is rather consistent, so some kind of natural progression would be preferred - i.e. a bow the size of a ballista would be much more plausible than a tiny human-sized bow that you can only draw with a hydraulic piston. I have several questions regarding the weapon scaling method:
  • The flat damage bonus to bows is independent of strength, and seems to depend on bow construction and material - e.g. a short selfbow has thr imp, a reflex composite bow has thr+3 imp, whether they're rated for ST 6 or 60. If you enlarge a bow simply to take advantage of higher ST, would this number increase as well, or is it a flat bonus?
  • Is it possible to devise a steel bow of the "long" variety, i.e. with Acc 3 (without it being Accurate)? Or is that an exclusive property of reflex and longbows? If so, what causes it? Could you make a "metal reflex bow" if you somehow laminated steel with other metals?
  • The cost seems to inflate ridiculously. The SM+3 entry on the table gives a weight/cost multiplier of x12.25, so a scaled-up tubular bow (2 lb., $900) would weigh 24.5 lb. and cost $11,025 (!!). The price of steel in the region we're currently in (where it's rare enough that bronze is used instead) is about $20-30/lb.; therefore, the raw materials costs come to about $490 of steel (and a little something for the drawstring), while the labor costs somehow bloom into the tens of thousands for a mundane, non-fine weapon purely because it's big.
  • What kind of arrows would such a monstrosity use? Do I scale their weight and cost with the same x12.25 that I use for the weapon?
Thanks in advance for whatever you guys come up with, I appreciate the help.
Seneschal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Aneirin
 
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

You could try fiddling around with the deadly spring making a large metal cross now. May take a while, and you may find it doesn't do the damage you want, but it will be as close to realism as you are going to get.
You may even find such a large metal bow wouldn't work at all.
Though truth be told, if he has magnetic powers he would probably be better off shooting metal bullets sling style!
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

How would a metal only teke pull a non magnetic bow string?
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
gilbertocarlos
 
gilbertocarlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Caxias do Sul, Brazil
Default Re: [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

Good luck trying to make a bow with a metallic string.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Good luck trying to make a bow with a metallic string.
Why am I trying so hard to come up with puns about only "axes" being able to be "metal"?
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
gilbertocarlos
 
gilbertocarlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Caxias do Sul, Brazil
Default Re: [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
The flat damage bonus to bows is independent of strength, and seems to depend on bow construction and material - e.g. a short selfbow has thr imp, a reflex composite bow has thr+3 imp, whether they're rated for ST 6 or 60. If you enlarge a bow simply to take advantage of higher ST, would this number increase as well, or is it a flat bonus?
The bonus isn't flat, you multiply it for *1,5 for each size increase, so, you increased it 3 times is 3*1,5=4*1,5=6*1,5=9
So, it's Thr+9 imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
Is it possible to devise a steel bow of the "long" variety, i.e. with Acc 3 (without it being Accurate)? Or is that an exclusive property of reflex and longbows? If so, what causes it? Could you make a "metal reflex bow" if you somehow laminated steel with other metals?
Game history, actual bows have Acc 2 at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
The cost seems to inflate ridiculously. The SM+3 entry on the table gives a weight/cost multiplier of x12.25, so a scaled-up tubular bow (2 lb., $900) would weigh 24.5 lb. and cost $11,025 (!!). The price of steel in the region we're currently in (where it's rare enough that bronze is used instead) is about $20-30/lb.; therefore, the raw materials costs come to about $490 of steel (and a little something for the drawstring), while the labor costs somehow bloom into the tens of thousands for a mundane, non-fine weapon purely because it's big.
That's right, I would probably ask even more since it's an unique weapon.
A tubular bow is very hard to make, that's why the cost.
The weight is also correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
What kind of arrows would such a monstrosity use? Do I scale their weight and cost with the same x12.25 that I use for the weapon?
Yes.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #7
weby
 
weby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
How would a metal only teke pull a non magnetic bow string?
Put a metal serving on the string?
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bow, deadly spring, low-tech, pyramid 3/33, steel bow, tubular bow

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.