Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-24-2018, 11:55 PM   #1
brionl

Default Speaking of Autoduel Champions...

It's available from DrivethruRPG. Currently it only seems to be purchasable as part of the Early Champions Bundle of Holding.

For all you Car Wars completists, it's another one of the good ones by Aaron Allston. It contains autodueling rules for Champions, and Super Hero rules for Car Wars. It's the first appearance of helicopters in Cars Wars. This pdf doesn't come with either the map, or the counter set. Both of which I've still got around somewhere, probably in my big box o' Car Wars crap.

There's also a Early Hero System bundle of holding with Justice Inc., Danger International, Robot Warrior, etc.
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: Speaking of Autoduel Champions...

I got both of the full bundles (including the Early Hero bundle). Still have my original paper copy, including the counters and mapsheet, have been waiting for PDFs forever.

I always wanted to but never got the chance to play in a Hero System-based Autoduel campaign. (I did play in a GURPS Autoduel campaign, back in the day, though.)

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
DarkPumpkin

I'd love to see an updated/reimagined version of Autoduel Champions. No doubt it would not be a a big draw commercially. But Hero Games at least seem to be open to collaborations and experiments. If someone with a track record as a designer wanted to pitch such a product, perhaps it would get a hearing?

edit: that Early Hero Bundle looks pretty sweet. Some of the inclusions are super rare and have barely been sighted since the 80s.

Last edited by DarkPumpkin; 11-29-2018 at 06:45 AM.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
swordtart

Shame the CW bit is only in the extended offering.

I am a CW completist but don't have the champions supplement. I am not a fan of Superhero RPGs though and I am unwilling to drop $24 for a supplement I will probably never use.

Odd that AD Champions isn't a PDF in the SJG store.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:07 AM   #5
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

I am a CW completist but don't have the champions supplement. I am not a fan of Superhero RPGs though and I am unwilling to drop $24 for a supplement I will probably never use.

Keep an eye on DTRPG after the Bundle is over; Hero Games will probably make it available there as a separate item. They have done so with the PDFs from previous bundles.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

It did seem an odd mix when it was on the shelves at the old game store. Two gaming acquaintances went on to buy Champions, which I'm pretty sure was the marketing intent. On that note I do have to say that I thought the Cyberlink device was a neat idea, but I was iffy on HDOJ and HDFOJs, as well as HD anything.

I never read all of it … not really being interested in Champions (though that was a game we went on to play … oh well). At least I got a cool user name out of it.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
On that note I do have to say that I thought the Cyberlink device was a neat idea, but I was iffy on HDOJ and HDFOJs, as well as HD anything.
I confess: I was mainly interested in the helicopter rules, being I come from Aviators. The HD dropped weapons were interesting, but not terribly useful. The CyberlInk was nice, but the name... well: I hate cyberpunk (and that was before it helped contribute to the Downfall Of _Car Wars_), so I could have done without the implications therein.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Blue Ghost

That's interesting. In spite of a lot of computer use growing up, I never got hooked by "cyberpunk" in any form. I think cyberlink is an actual term though, used by the US Army to describe the mechanism that gunship pilots use to target their autocannon via head motion. I thought that was kind of cool, helos and the grasshopper were kind of interesting.

But you really think Cyberpunk brought down CW? Do you think ADChamps was some part of that?
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
Brandy

Wow, that's a throwback. In the 80s, my gaming group had an ongoing champions game and we occasionally played car wars. Alan bought ADC and eventually ran a game with it -- I want to say that that campaign was the first one where we were using the rules in Champions III? That was a *long* time ago.

I don't remember much about the campaign, except that it was considerably zanier than our usual four-color exploits. :)
Old 12-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
brionl

I finally got a chance to read my copy, and it actually does have a page of the counters. Still no map though.
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote