Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Boardroom and Curia

Organizations
Undertake our greatest works
And greatest follies
— Some beret-wearing radical
Suppose you want to get organized . . . I mean, really organized. You have GURPS Social Engineering for all your scheming and influence-peddling, and GURPS Mass Combat for when you lead your army to victory. But that skips Step 2 – the one that comes between "I talk to a few guys" and "I achieve world domination," the part where you arrange your people into a hierarchy and figure out a way to pay for your legions.

That's where GURPS Boardroom and Curia comes in. It provides a systematic way to define the vital statistics of organizations, much as GURPS City Stats does for cities. (In fact, the working title was GURPS Organization Stats, but that seemed too boring – like something created by a bureaucracy – so we changed it.) At a glance, you can figure out a group's size and wealth, the resources it can bring to bear, and exactly how cohesive it is and how loyal its members are.

It doesn't stop there, though. Boardroom and Curia also covers tasks for and pertaining to organizations, including how to create them, run them, and use and abuse their resources. It elaborates on how organizations work as Patrons, Allies, and Enemies for PCs. And of course it provides a whole chapter of examples, from a 15th-century bank to a 22nd-century biotech company – including some unusual ones, like a superhero team and a Cabal brotherhood.

Remember, SJ Games brought you Illuminati – we know this stuff! You can trust us. And if you don't, well, don't you at least want to read the organizational handbook?

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0151
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Buzzardo

Default Re: GURPS Boardroom and Curia

Interesting. Gonna have to scope that out.

Thanks for mentioning it; I wouldn't have known it existed otherwise. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
apoc527

Oh man, perfect for my upcoming GURPS Dark*Matter game (which is very much like Illuminati)! Does this kind of replace Illuminati or is that older book still useful?

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Oh man, perfect for my upcoming GURPS Dark*Matter game (which is very much like Illuminati)! Does this kind of replace Illuminati or is that older book still useful?
Not that familiar with Illuminati but I still feel safe enough saying no. The example organizations are interesting but mostly included as examples. No comprehensive coverage of anything.

Now, if you want to be able to compare the relative incomes of Cosimo Medici and Al Capone it's covered. :)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
ham2anv

Does this volume include any details on using the resulting organizations with GURPS Social Engineering: Pulling Rank?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Rasputin

I've already statted up a thieves' guild I've been making for a few weeks (what is a fantasy game world without a thieves' guild, unless Greyhawk isn't out yet?). It's pretty handy. I had the key stats done in about 15 minutes.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv View Post
Does this volume include any details on using the resulting organizations with GURPS Social Engineering: Pulling Rank?
Wellll... I do note that the Index lists one mention of Pulling Rank... and the page it mentions also happens to be one of the sample pages offered.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
ham2anv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Wellll... I do note that the Index lists one mention of Pulling Rank... and the page it mentions also happens to be one of the sample pages offered.
Oh, it's silly to assume I would check the preview, Steven. (Second time tonight I could have answered my own question by clicking a provided link.)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv View Post
Oh, it's silly to assume I would check the preview, Steven. (Second time tonight I could have answered my own question by clicking a provided link.)
That's okay; I love those kinds of questions, because they're so easy to answer! :-)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
doulos05

Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday to me.
Happy birthday dear meeee.
Happy birthday to me.

Seriously, one of my favorite things is incorporating cities, nations, and organizations into a game and rules support for these sorts of things is probably my favorite part of GURPS.

I'm going to have to peruse the rules for a bit to see, but I'm hoping I can kitbash this, some pyramid articles, Social Engineering, and City Stats to make a useable nation-state ruleset.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boardroom and curia