Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
Sorenant

Default [Powers] Flight (No Upward Movement, -X%)?

Psionic Powers has a limitation called Slow that can limit the air movement while using Flight to move 1, this seems perfect to star modeling soft landing abilities (Illustrative Picture).
However, without further limitation it would also allow the character to fly as high as it wants. How much a limitation that prevents the ability from being used to move upwards would be worth?
As a related question, is there some limitation that limits the amount of time the ability can be used? Limited Use is very close, but it limits per "use", not "time". Would converting it be a 0 point special effect? i.e. "Limited Use, 1 use/day, Slow Reload" would allow 60 seconds of use before it would require recharging. It can be continuous 60 seconds of use, or 12 uses for 5 seconds each.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
edk926

Default Re: [Powers] Flight (No Upward Movement, -X%)?

If there's no upward movement, how are they flying? There's the Low Ceiling Limitation.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
If there's no upward movement, how are they flying? There's the Low Ceiling Limitation.
Flight is just the advantage name, the idea isn't that the character can fly but that it has enough propulsion to slow the fall velocity to 1 yards/second. Technically it would also allow floating indefinitely so I'd need to limit it as well.
As for Low Ceiling, I don't think the character can activate the ability above the top altitude, so it would leave a very small window of time to use it to break the fall. ie if the character fall from 15 yards, his fall velocity according to B431 will be 10 yps at 10 yards high, which will give him less than 1 second to activate the ability.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Psionic Powers has a limitation called Slow that can limit the air movement while using Flight to move 1, this seems perfect to star modeling soft landing abilities (Illustrative Picture).
However, without further limitation it would also allow the character to fly as high as it wants. How much a limitation that prevents the ability from being used to move upwards would be worth?
As a related question, is there some limitation that limits the amount of time the ability can be used? Limited Use is very close, but it limits per "use", not "time". Would converting it be a 0 point special effect? i.e. "Limited Use, 1 use/day, Slow Reload" would allow 60 seconds of use before it would require recharging. It can be continuous 60 seconds of use, or 12 uses for 5 seconds each.
Gliding stops you from gaining altitude, but it also doesn't really give you an air Move, so I don't know if it would be compatible. Honestly, given the amount of value you're losing from base Flight, I'd just call "Can only move 1 yd horizontally and must move down at least 1 yd every round" a -80% limitation and leave it at that. It does give you the problem of being essentially a far superior version of Catfall for only 2 pts more, but I think Catfall is overpriced anyway.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
If there's no upward movement, how are they flying? .
They aren't. They're parachuting.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
awesomenessofme1

Also, I didn't see it the first time, but I think having that increased level of granularity for Limited Use would definitely make it be worth less as a limitation. Personally, my gut feeling would call it +5%, with it not being a worthwhile limitation if it ends up as -0%.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Check out the Gliding modifier on B56.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #8
zoncxs

Limited Use for non attack abilities grants 1 minute of usage per "Use".

You can also do this using Super Jump limited to vertical only and only for calculating falling distance and nuisance effect must be able to land (like cat fall).
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
Sorenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Check out the Gliding modifier on B56.
Gliding comes with a lot of baggage like specifying rate of change of speed, top speed and so on. Given 1yd/s speed is below both of those, it might be compatible but I'm not entirely sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Gliding stops you from gaining altitude, but it also doesn't really give you an air Move, so I don't know if it would be compatible. Honestly, given the amount of value you're losing from base Flight, I'd just call "Can only move 1 yd horizontally and must move down at least 1 yd every round" a -80% limitation and leave it at that. It does give you the problem of being essentially a far superior version of Catfall for only 2 pts more, but I think Catfall is overpriced anyway.
My thoughts exactly. Technically you could get Magery 4 (One Spell Only, -80%) [8] + Charm [1] + Slow Fall IQ+2 [1] for [10] so I'd round this ability to the same cost.
Catfall is weird. Why 5 yards of reduction? It seems a pretty arbitrary number that doesn't change with the character's SM, it doesn't care if you you're a SM-6 pixie or a SM+6 giant robot. Then a roll reduces damage by half, with no option to reduce it further like IT(DR). I'm not GURPS historian but I feel it's one of those legacy advantages from back when GURPS wasn't so generic and had only human characters in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Also, I didn't see it the first time, but I think having that increased level of granularity for Limited Use would definitely make it be worth less as a limitation. Personally, my gut feeling would call it +5%, with it not being a worthwhile limitation if it ends up as -0%.
I think so as well, but I don't think I've ever seem anything like this in the books and it wasn't my focus at the time so I didn't tinker with it. Maybe half value, like Fast Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Limited Use for non attack abilities grants 1 minute of usage per "Use".

You can also do this using Super Jump limited to vertical only and only for calculating falling distance and nuisance effect must be able to land (like cat fall).
I know Limited Use doesn't work like I suggested, but it was the closest limitation to what I wanted so I used it regardless.

About Super Jump, it doesn't slow your fall speed so it's not really what I have in mind. Beside, its effectiveness vary with basic move, and I feel that's an undesirable variable. One could use this ability to fall on enemies and damage them, while what I want wouldn't allow that. It could be used to represent superior shock absorbers though.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
zoncxs

Sorry, My comment about Limited Use was about your comment:

"...Limited Use is very close, but it limits per "use", not "time". ..."

The way you thought of using it is good! I like that idea.

Oh! How about:

Flight (Vertical Only, -25%; Slow, -25%; Accessibility, Only when falling, -20% -PM, -10%) [8]

Vertical Only is from Powers for Walk on Air. This would limit it to up and down only. Slow limits the speed to only your Basic Speed, and the Accessibility limits it to only when you are falling, so you can't use it to move up, only down.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catfall, flight, powers, slow, slow fall