Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
mearrin69

Default 'Godlike' using GURPS?

Hi all,
I've been wanting to run a WWII game along the lines of "Combat" or "The Rat Patrol" (two shows I loved as a kid) for some time now. My co-DM loves supers and wants to play; I know next to nothing about comics so she always has to run any supers stuff and never gets to play.

She recently introduced me to Godlike (gritty WWII with superpowers) and I like the concept so have been considering trying to run something for her. The system looks workable but I've been wondering about running it in GURPS using the Godlike setting and the basic GURPS rules, High Tech, Powers, and an old hardcover of GURPS WWII I recently picked up (for $10!)

Anyone who's familiar with Godlike have any thoughts on how that'd work out? Would it feel the same? Any advice on constructing a Talent's powers using GURPS rules: source and accessibility limitations, etc.?

For those who don't know Godlike:
The story is essentially that normal people began to spontaneously develop superpowers in the mid-30s. The first was a flying German, which Hitler unveiled at the 1936 Olympics and held up as an example of Aryan genetic superiority. History proceeded along its normal course from there; while the Talents did affect things on a local scale, they didn't result in any major changes to the timeline.

Talents generally have a single power (flight, invisibility, invunerability to attacks they know are coming, limited prescience, etc.) that initially manifests in a crisis situation. Other than that they're normal people. Talents can detect others when they use their powers and those powers are less effective (or not effective at all) when used against other Talents. A Talent's powers can go away or become unreliable if they become depressed, disheartened, etc.; they are very linked to the Talent's psychological state.

I'm sure I've missed something but those are the basics. Any advice will be appreciated!
M

Edit: I'm thinking she will want to play an American and I'd like to set it in Europe/Africa, at least initially. I'm thinking her character (or maybe more than one) would be among the first Americans to join the Allied forces in North Africa (my Rat Patrol fetish). After some introductory adventures we'd probably move to the invasion of Sicily and then later (if it goes that far) D-Day and onward. I'm still brushing up on history, on which I've become somewhat rusty.

America didn't start manifesting Talents until late 1941 and early 1942. It'd be perfectly reasonable, actually, to have her character be a normal person deployed to Africa and the power maybe manifests in the defeat at Kasserine Pass (again, still brushing up on history). Since this will be a one-player sort of thing I'll probably have her take on multiple Talent characters later on, but I might start with just a single character at the beginning.

Last edited by mearrin69; 03-10-2012 at 11:09 AM.
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
godlike, wwii