Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #51
Prince Charon

Default Re: [MH] Ten bore Colt 'pistol'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Making this a pistol tends to make me think we need an Affliction (Broken Wrist) to attach to it. How the hell do you fire a 10g. pistol without injuring yourself?
With Gigantism and high ST & HP? Seriously, if someone in like the 1980s did an Old West film starring André the Giant, this is the sort of gun I imagine them giving him.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #52
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
What shells? It's a muzzle loader custom load every shot.
I have to question that assertion. If it is a cap and ball type weapon, then I'd have to accept that possibility. If strictly a muzzle loader (improbable, but still possible), then yes. But this pistol was based of an 1855 design, making it more likely to be standard cap & ball or updated to cartridge if designed in the late 60's or even later.

That's my best estimate for now.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #53
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I have to question that assertion. If it is a cap and ball type weapon, then I'd have to accept that possibility. If strictly a muzzle loader (improbable, but still possible), then yes. But this pistol was based of an 1855 design, making it more likely to be standard cap & ball or updated to cartridge if designed in the late 60's or even later.

That's my best estimate for now.
Virtually all cap & ball firearms are muzzle loaders. Our family's 1860 Colt Army pistol from the US Civil War is a muzzle loader. The cap simply replaces the flint, frizzen and pan. Colt didn't really play with the various early attempts to build cartridges like rocket balls or similar ideas, they simply did not have the power or reliability of muzzle loading. After the Rollins White patents expired he moved into the brass cartridge designs, they were a real improvement.
Look at video, it still has the nipples for caps, and the under barrel built in ram rod. It was not converted to shells.

For what it may be worth, when you read about "cartridges" in the US Civil war, for rifle/muskets they were usually prefilled paper tubes with powder and ball, often made by the troops between battles, particularly for CSA troops. They are simply a more efficient way to load a muzzle loader with premeasured loads, not what we would think of as cartridges. Now needle guns, like the Chassepot, and Dreyse, used a complete paper cartridge that worked like a single shot rifle, stuff them in the back, close the breech, pull the trigger. No tearing the paper, pouring the powder, using the paper as wading, and dropping the ball/Minie ball in the barrle and then using a ram rod to set all of this, then cap the nipple, and now you can fire like most Infantry weapons used in the US Civil War functioned.

Now interestingly enough, US Cavalry carbines tended to use rim fire brass shells in the US Civil War due to there ease of use on a moving horse. Shortly after the end of that war, most US weapons that were kept, used single shot brass cased rounds. Meanwhile, Germany and France were still using needle guns in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #54
hal

Looking more closely at the video, it is indeed, cap and ball. The loading rod gives it away, as does the cylinder showing where the caps go. As such, like anything of that era, the loader controls the charge amount, the projectiles, etc. Without further information on standard loads, muzzle velocity, as well as projectile weight(s) etc, I can’t do much more than speculate.

<shrug>
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #55
adm

Here is another insane pistol, a cut down Martini/Henry rifle in .577/450 black powder being fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDgd4E2gSFs
Old 10-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #56
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Here is another insane pistol, a cut down Martini/Henry rifle in .577/450 black powder being fired.
Suddenly, a cigar smoking, rabbit hole spelunking, carbon based life form appears.