Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: Pricing Unlimited Strength But The Oil Tanker Collapses In On Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's always Regeneration(FP; only to recover from Super Effort) but IMO you're getting perverse with builds like that. The rule is A B C (Accurate, Basic, Cheap), not Cheap Accurate Basic.
I'd say any trait that essentially amounts to "Immunity to Disadvantage/Limitation I got points for" is simply not allowed.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Pricing Unlimited Strength But The Oil Tanker Collapses In On Itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I'd say any trait that essentially amounts to "Immunity to Disadvantage/Limitation I got points for" is simply not allowed.
I'd allow Regeneration for FP for things like this, but then the limitation value of FP drops. Generally, if you can recover one FP a minute, I think you should only get a -5% limitation for spending 2 FP (that is, the limitation value effectively halves), while 1 FP a second regeneration drops the limitation value to 1/5th (i.e., 5 FP/-5%), and regening 10 FP a second drops it down to 10 FP/-5%.

For something like the Super-Effort enhancement, where the FP cost is inherent to the modifier, I'd increase the price of Super-Effort proportionately based on the level of Regeneration (Fatigue Only). Since Reduced Fatigue Cost 1 is worth +50%, regenerating 1 FP per minute should increase the cost of Super-Effort by about +40%, I'd say.

Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 08-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
Anaraxes

Quote:
There's always Regeneration(FP; only to recover from Super Effort) but IMO you're getting perverse with builds like that.
Powers does suggest something along those lines -- Reduced Fatigue Cost with a Cosmic Enhancement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers 58
Once you’ve made the lift, use Abilities and Exertion (p. 159) for ongoing FP costs. Walking around with or pulling the weight counts as “intensive use” (1 FP/minute); just holding it up is “long-term use” (1 FP/hour). You can’t take Reduced Fatigue Cost to eliminate these costs unless you also add Cosmic (+50%).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Powers does suggest something along those lines -- Reduced Fatigue Cost with a Cosmic Enhancement.
Oops, I forgot about the requirement for Cosmic. In that case, I'd revise my suggestion for the cost of Super-Effort with Regeneration with Fatigue to +80% above the regular cost of Super-Effort.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Culture20

Quote:
Super ST is only appropriate if the character tires VERY RAPIDLY outside of their "nearly mortal" range of effort. Superman tends to fly around carrying ridiculous objects like buses and ships, rather than sweating, grunting, and putting it back down again after 15 seconds puffing for breath.

There's always Regeneration(FP; only to recover from Super Effort) but IMO you're getting perverse with builds like that. The rule is A B C (Accurate, Basic, Cheap), not Cheap Accurate Basic.

For Superman-type characters who are supposed to actually work like Superman, oodles and oodles of ST is more Accurate, and more Basic too. It's useful to combine with Super Effort though - ST 250 or whatever with 12-15 levels of Super Effort is, I think, more dialed in.

It conveniently comes with more HP too, which has good synergies with IT:DR for your typical flying brick.
Gurps Supers allows for reducing the fatigue cost to zero for Super Strength if you also take Cosmic (+50%), but even the “flying around” example is mentioned as 1FP per minute, so just a larger pool of fatigue is enough for Supes.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #16
pnewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Ok so in a super's game I'm wanting to allow a player to have truly unlimited strength, but without all the built in secondary powers that a comic book character like superman has that allows him to lift an Oil tanker without it collapsing in on itself.
Is there a way to figure this out or would we just need to ball park it?
You need to ask your GM what the default assumptions are in his world.

If the world is realistic this is not a limitation. If everyone else has to buy an enhancement to be able to do this, than you should just not buy that enhancement. If it is a four-color world and everyone else can do this without buying an enhancement than, and only than, do you have a disadvantage.

If this is a frequent problem maybe your character has Compulsive Spending (on defense lawyers), or Enemy - the people who are suing me.
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #17
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewman View Post
I guess that since Minuteman37 talks of wanting to allow a player to have this power, that probably he is the GM.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #18
pnewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I guess that since Minuteman37 talks of wanting to allow a player to have this power, that probably he is the GM.
Good catch, sorry.

Then he needs to ask himself what his default assumptions are.
pnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewman View Post

If the world is realistic this is not a limitation. If everyone else has to buy an enhancement to be able to do this, than you should just not buy that enhancement. If it is a four-color world and everyone else can do this without buying an enhancement than, and only than, do you have a disadvantage.
Yes, that is a key point. I would only think in terms of "secondary powers" in a game which was otherwise fierce about checking things against real-world physics. In a four-colour setting, the world just works very differently from ours, the structural integrity of large objects is just one.

GURPS does not really work with "unlimited" or "unstoppable" (except in GURPS Magic) and has issues with pricing Strength so I do not have a good answer to the original question.

Someone weighing ~80 kg who could do an Atlas with a Leopard II would have other issues. Agemegos mentioned ground pressure, but imagine that they grab it slightly off centre and the weight lands on them with a bit of momentum ... do they fall and get squashed under a tread? Can they send someone flying by snapping their fingers?

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #20
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Someone weighing ~80 kg who could do an Atlas with a Leopard II would have other issues. Agemegos mentioned ground pressure, but imagine that they grab it slightly off centre…
Yeah, no amount of strength negates the necessity of having the centre of mass above the convex hull of the area of support. This man of unlimited strength is going to do a lot of falling over.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote