Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #21
smurf
Banned

Default Re: Questions on Converting a game to GURPS

I'm not familar with Fate. Few things to note about GURPS is that combat is usually quick and bloody if not lethal. Using the 3d6 bell curve as a percentage may help you convert the abilities from one system to the other.

For a good back ground guide for dective work has to be 3e Cops. You may want to go a bit dark with 3e Black Ops.

Others in this genre are 3e: Espionage and Secret Ops.

Remember these are 3e pdf files and are good for background. There is a little nuance between 3e and 4e (removal of 3e half points, better lifting ST in 4e and so on but in general the mechanics are the same).
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #22
Wendell_Burke

Thanks, Refplace! I'll check these out!
Wendell_Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #23
Wendell_Burke

Refplace: Thanks for the links!

Mr_Sandman: Thanks for the links and notes!
johndallman: Thanks for the greeting and the book info! I just bought it and will start reading up.
Anaraxes: The work never bothered me, but I feel like I'm an exception in the gaming community for that anymore. There's such a demand for speed at the expense of a lot of stuff I don't want to do without.
Fred Brackin: I get what you mean about narrowing the focus. Sounds like a good idea to start. There is a lot of stuff in Dresden Files. Thanks!
tshiggins: Gurps has a Fairy book too!?! Man, they have a lot of books! Thanks!

I'll have to give all of this some real though and start over with the audiobooks looking for all the parts where they describe magic. I think pooling that data would be good just to get an overview of how it works. I like the idea of spells not just being powers, or that they require drawing energy and modulating focus. I think casting spells should be involved to simulate the feel of the whole craft. I've noticed that if systems are too cut and dry, players often abuse their powers.
Wendell_Burke is offline   Reply With Quote