Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-16-2018, 02:54 AM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: Animal part value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
If that means they aren't dangerous, I'm not sure WHAT animals could be considered dangerous.
There are no animals on earth that are a significant threat to TL 8 hunters, and not many that are much of a threat to TL 3 hunters. There's a reason DF has barely any mundane animals.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #22
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Oooh, where's that from?
DF8, p. 13, “Looting the Bodies” sidebar.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #23
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I disagree that a half ton of uncured hides are at most worth $600...
This is moving away from the simplicity of DFRPG, but Low-Tech Companion 3 puts the cost of cured, armor grade leather at $3/lb. That implies that the tanner is buying the untanned hides at less than that: $0.60 - $1/lb is probably a fair estimate. So $600 for a half ton of battle damaged hides, indifferently skinned in a hurry, is pretty reasonable.

Obviously, there are going to be monster bits that are worth substantially more. For instance, dragonhide leather armor is worth about 25 times as much as normal leather armor, so dragon hide might be worth $25-$250/lb to a tanner*.

* Ballpark calculations below:
DR 2 Leather armor costs $450 and weighs 36 lbs. 36 lbs of tanned leather cost $108 as raw materials, so the labor cost is $442. If the cost of normal tanned leather is 25% raw materials and 75% labor, that 36 lbs of tanned leather cost $81 to produce after purchasing the 36 lbs of untanned hide for $27 or $0.75/lb.

DR4 Dragonhide has CF +35 and costs $16200 and weighs 54 lbs. If dragonhide armorers make 10x as much as normal armorers, the labor cost to produce the suit is $4420 and the material cost for 54 lbs of tanned dragonhide is $13780. If dragonhide tanners also make 10x as much as normal tanners, the labor cost to produce the tanned dragonhide is $810 and the value of the untanned dragonhide is $12790. That puts the cost to the tanner of the untanned hide at $240/lb. There may be additional costs (dragonhide tanners have to pay for exotic urine to soak dragonhdie, maybe?) but hunting dragons for their hide can be a profitable business.**

** This also implies that if you show up at the armorer's door with 54 lbs of untanned dragonhide, you might be able to get him to turn into armor for only the cost of labor or $5230. That's a pretty substantial savings on the market price of $16200!
Old 03-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #24
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post

This also implies that if you show up at the armorer's door with 54 lbs of untanned dragonhide, you might be able to get him to turn into armor for only the cost of labor or $5230. That's a pretty substantial savings on the market price of $16200!
Though for gamers who hate math, the traditional method – especially popular in old computer games – is to show up with lots more than you need. If the armor you want weighs 54 lbs., the armorer might make you a suit at no cost if you show up with some multiple of that: 108 lbs., 162 lbs., whatever. In effect, the armorer is paying you with armor for materials that will let him make a killing on the other suits.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

The character's gear also acts as proof of the materials' quality. Something that may help for realistically adjudicating the value pre-construction.

If they're poor mats, then the craftsman only is out poor gear, for example.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #26
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Though for gamers who hate math, the traditional method – especially popular in old computer games – is to show up with lots more than you need. If the armor you want weighs 54 lbs., the armorer might make you a suit at no cost if you show up with some multiple of that: 108 lbs., 162 lbs., whatever. In effect, the armorer is paying you with armor for materials that will let him make a killing on the other suits.
If I was a dragonhide armorer and some fool delver offered to swap me 110 lbs of untanned dragonhide for a full suit of dragonhide armor, I'd take that deal in a heart beat. "Yes, you can buy $5000 of my labor for $11000 in raw materials, please come again!"

Though I guess if a lot of delvers are making "deals" like that, it explains why the typical adventurer only gets 40% of the nominal value of their stuff when they sell it in Town.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #27
Colarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
If I was a dragonhide armorer and some fool delver offered to swap me 110 lbs of untanned dragonhide for a full suit of dragonhide armor, I'd take that deal in a heart beat. "Yes, you can buy $5000 of my labor for $11000 in raw materials, please come again!"

Though I guess if a lot of delvers are making "deals" like that, it explains why the typical adventurer only gets 40% of the nominal value of their stuff when they sell it in Town.
It's typically also true in these sorts of things that not everyone knows how to work dragonhide, so they can demand a premium for their labor. More importantly, it's a good plot device to give stuff instead of cash.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote