Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:38 AM   #11
Blue Ghost

Default Re: Stupid question; manned Ogres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Indeed, I think getting Ogre into the hands of more players is better than making add-ons for the existing addicts...errr, ummm, fans. It gives us all more folks with whom to play. I hope the computer game does the same.
I think it will. I played Ogre about a year and a half ago at KublaCon, and hadn't touched the game prior to that since 84 or thereabouts. Since I bought the computer version I'm considering which table top version to buy.

I think DOOM and a few others have sparked some table top spinoffs. Didn't SJGames produce something called "Frag" as an RPG? Either way, I think Ogre got a shot in the arm.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:01 AM   #12
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post

I think DOOM and a few others have sparked some table top spinoffs. Didn't SJGames produce something called "Frag" as an RPG? Either way, I think Ogre got a shot in the arm.
Frag is a tabletop board game that simulates the first person shooter games (such as Doom). So not really an RPG, but was a very popular game for a long time.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #13
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
No - that's the Board Game Geek counters.

"Ice Dragon" - "Dragon" because the manned ogres are Chinese. "Ice" because it includes rules for frozen lakes (which melts and drops units to the bottom) and tundra (which melts into swamp).
Okay, thanks.

What is that monster thing on that promo sheet? Are there rules for it?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #14
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
That's probably the BGG-zilla on the BoardGame Geek sponsored sheet. No "official" rules, but there are a few unofficial posts lying around the internet.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
wolf90

Quote:
As GP mentioned, there have been a variety of attempts at codifying rules for using the monster. I have pulled together those that I could find as well as summarized an old Pyramid article that may be of use and posted this all on BGG. You can find the relevant thread here.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #16
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Getting back to the original not-stupid question, the intent of the storyteller is that expensive, sophisticated AI produces the most effective combat units, but if you can't make AI that good, you can fake it by putting humans in the loop - and that solution was embraced, at least for a while, by the Chinese.

The question of how to represent the frailty of the human operators was never completely settled. One option was to ignore it, of course, and have the Chinese Ogres ignore all D results the same way that other Ogres do. It's possible that for brief engagements, and most Last War engagements were brief, the difference would not be visible. But you'd probably run through a lot of crews, and you wouldn't be able to send the unit on a "squat at the bottom of the ocean for two months" sort of mission.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Not doubling attacks in overrun also seems appropriate.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #18
Blue Ghost

Very cool. Thanks for the replies. And thanks for the link.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #19
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
But you'd probably run through a lot of crews, and you wouldn't be able to send the unit on a "squat at the bottom of the ocean for two months" sort of mission.
Sure you could. Twenty cases of MREs, a couple of refills for the chemical port-a-potty, and a low level AI for company. It's gotta be the cushiest job in the whole Last War.

Sounds like something Keith Laumer's already written...

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #20
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Need a regular supply of non-irradiated breathing air, too, but your point is taken.

Not doubling overrun attacks - yes, that would be a start. There's still a lot of computer processing power in the manned Ogre, but it's not qualitatitively better than that in regular manned units.

At the risk of adding complexity, you could have a Golden BB roll each time the Ogre is hit with a 6, giving a very small chance to crack the shell and let in enough heat and bad air for a crew kill. That kind of rule is more flavor than anything else, though - it would not affect tactics except perhaps to encourage a foe to take lots of little 1-1 and even 1-2 shots.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote