Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #701
JLV

Default Re: Wishes can't give attributes! Improve Max attr.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Bayarea, everyone.

Strangely I never thought of taking away Wishes power to give you an attribute. Good idea.

Altho, I would let wishes raise your maximum attribute limit by one. This way a giant with a wish could raise his maximum IQ. (He would still have to pay experience points to earn it tho.)

Warm regards, Rick.
This implies "maximum attributes" are a thing. While I know that some creatures have maximums specified, they were always given as more of a guideline than an actual rule. If there were maximum attributes, Humans would have to have them too -- and ipso facto, that would both solve the Attribute Bloat problem at one go, AND remove any incentive to play the campaign after a year or two... ;-)

But I actually agree -- if XP can be spent on something besides attributes, then having species-specific maximum attribute limits would be a GREAT idea (I wonder how Dragons would work? And at which attribute sub-totals they would bump up a hex or more in size...?), and allowing a WISH to increase an attribute maximum by 1 would be an even better idea!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #702
Bayarea

Default Re: Wishes can't give attributes! Improve Max attr.?

Quote:
Hi Bayarea, everyone.

Strangely I never thought of taking away Wishes power to give you an attribute. Good idea.

Altho, I would let wishes raise your maximum attribute limit by one. This way a giant with a wish could raise his maximum IQ. (He would still have to pay experience points to earn it tho.)

Warm regards, Rick.
Completely agree allow max to increase but still need exp. to get the point.
Bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 AM   #703
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Magic Items, an alternate look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I always assumed that ingredients were there primarily as a "quest invoker," that is, if you wanted someone to make something for you, you had to go out and find the Gargoyle liver required for the purpose first (they don't have one lying around, or, at least, aren't interested in giving it to you (even for cash) since they might need it themselves for their own purposes). ...
Hi JLV, everyone.
Well of course. But all I was suggesting was turning a single Gargoyle Gallbladder at the start of the project to Gallbladder slices thru out it. It removes one term from the equation. But you still have to go out and collect gallbladders, brains or hides.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 AM   #704
Rick_Smith

Default Maximum attributes?

Quote:
This implies "maximum attributes" are a thing. While I know that some creatures have maximums specified, they were always given as more of a guideline than an actual rule. If there were maximum attributes, Humans would have to have them too -- and ipso facto, that would both solve the Attribute Bloat problem at one go, AND remove any incentive to play the campaign after a year or two... ;-)
Hi JLV, everyone.
I was NOT suggesting that humans and other PC's races have low maximum attributes to combat attribute bloat! Altho looking at the largest mass weight lifters can lift, you could argue the maximum ST for humans is around ST 30.

I actually use maximum attributes in my campaign. Goblins have a max ST of 20, for example. It is just one way to distinguish one race from another. But for PC races I set the max attributes quite high, or at least 2/3 of the attributes quite high. So there is always an attribute to put exp into.

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:50 AM   #705
JLV

Default Re: Maximum attributes?

Quote:
Hi JLV, everyone.
I was NOT suggesting that humans and other PC's races have low maximum attributes to combat attribute bloat!
I wasn't saying you were. (I was merely stating that it made sense to do so if you had something else to spend XP on...)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #706
Carnifex

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

On their FaceBook page tonight, SJ Games announced the pricing for TFT.

Quote:
Big announcements coming out of #GAMA, including new Munchkin mini-expansions, a new edition of Illuminati, and a price point for The Fantasy Trip: $14.95!

We've also got fun surprises planned like a crossover with Red Dragon Inn, and a new Ogre Battle Box, and even more yet to be announced!
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #707
JLV

Wow, that's great! Thanks for posting, Carnifex!

(Edited to add: That appears to be the price point for each of the original microgames (Melee and Wizard), so it will be $14.95 each for Melee and Wizard; not for "TFT" as a whole. I imagine that big TFT will be quite a bit more. What the actual contents of the packages will be remains to be seen, but I would guess it would be pretty close to the original microgame contents...though quality will probably be higher, knowing SJG. SJG also notes that they have engaged with each of the original artists for new art for both games, which is simply awesome!)

Last edited by JLV; 03-13-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #708
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
... the price point for each of the original microgames (Melee and Wizard), so it will be $14.95 each for Melee and Wizard
Adjusting for inflation and loss of USD buying-power relative to what [(2.95+3.95)/2] from 1977-1979 would buy at that time, puts their target unit-price nearly exactly what one of these games would cost if expressed as 2018 USD.

Talk about Attention-to-Continuity! Nice!

Last edited by Jim Kane; 03-13-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 AM   #709
Rick_Smith

Default Basic Melee and Basic Wizard for $14.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
On their FaceBook page tonight, SJ Games announced the pricing for TFT.
Hopefully it will be the first edition of Wizard with TWO counters sheets.

;-P

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #710
Dave Crowell

I would gladly pay $14.95 each for Melee and Wizard with good quality components.

Not ODE mounted map and chipboard counters. Heavy paper map and colour counters with a good rulebook would be fine.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard