Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2020, 12:10 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default How to balance Super ST vs Super Lifting+Striking ST

I've discovered something I really don't like. If you apply a significant number of modifiers to ST with Super-Effort, it actually becomes cheaper than individually buying Lifting and Striking ST with Super-Effort, despite being strictly superior (including HP). Here's the breakdown of my example:

Version 1: ST+10 (Super-Effort, +300%; Breakable, DR15, Machine, SM0, -40%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Superscience, -10%) [340]

Version 2: Lifting ST+10 (Same modifiers, but with Super-Effort costing +400%) [132] + Striking ST+10 (Same modifiers as Lifting ST) [220], for a total cost of [352]. Adding in HP+10 with the gadget and power modifiers makes it an even [360]

This doesn't really make sense, but normally I'd just ignore it and go with the cheaper version. However, this is a suit of armor, it shouldn't give additional HP. If I sell back the HP (even with the modifiers), the balance gets even more lopsided, but if I use Version 2, I feel like I'm just hamstringing the character.

Does anyone have thoughts, either about my example specifically or the issue in general?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
Thamior

Default Re: How to balance Super ST vs Super Lifting+Striking ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I've discovered something I really don't like. If you apply a significant number of modifiers to ST with Super-Effort, it actually becomes cheaper than individually buying Lifting and Striking ST with Super-Effort, despite being strictly superior (including HP). Here's the breakdown of my example:

Version 1: ST+10 (Super-Effort, +300%; Breakable, DR15, Machine, SM0, -40%; Can Be Stolen (Must be forcefully removed), -10%; Superscience, -10%) [340]

Version 2: Lifting ST+10 (Same modifiers, but with Super-Effort costing +400%) [132] + Striking ST+10 (Same modifiers as Lifting ST) [220], for a total cost of [352]. Adding in HP+10 with the gadget and power modifiers makes it an even [360]

This doesn't really make sense, but normally I'd just ignore it and go with the cheaper version. However, this is a suit of armor, it shouldn't give additional HP. If I sell back the HP (even with the modifiers), the balance gets even more lopsided, but if I use Version 2, I feel like I'm just hamstringing the character.

Does anyone have thoughts, either about my example specifically or the issue in general?
Super-effort doesn't include HP, AFAIK.
Thamior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:30 AM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamior View Post
Super-effort doesn't include HP, AFAIK.
In this case, we're looking at Super ST +10/+100, as described in GURPS Supers. The +10 part does in fact add to HP as it's a boost to the regular ST; the +100 from Super-Effort does not add to HP.

Clear as mud?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:39 AM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
In this case, we're looking at Super ST +10/+100, as described in GURPS Supers. The +10 part does in fact add to HP as it's a boost to the regular ST; the +100 from Super-Effort does not add to HP.

Clear as mud?
Yes, what I was saying was that in the example with base ST, you're getting all the benefits of the others, and 10 HP, for a cheaper price.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:25 AM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Yes, what I was saying was that in the example with base ST, you're getting all the benefits of the others, and 10 HP, for a cheaper price.
I'm aware. I was replying to Thamior who was wondering why you were adding HP.

Now, Supers gives an "Under the Hood" look for Super ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supers p. 24
In GURPS Powers, Super-Effort only applies to Lifting ST. To buy +1 to ST, but be capable of SuperEffort, you have to buy Lifting ST, Striking ST, and HP separately and apply the modifier to Lifting ST. A +1 to Lifting ST costs 3 points; with the +400% Super-Effort modifier, that increases to 15 points. In four-color and ultraviolent campaigns, Super-Effort also affects Striking ST; applying the same +400% bonus raises the cost of +1 to Striking ST from 5 points to 25 points. Super-Effort does not affect HP; to gain the ability to withstand massive damage, take Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction) as discussed on pp. 118-119 of GURPS Powers. So +1 HP still costs 2 points.

Putting the three back together, +1 ST with Super-Effort costs 15 + 25 + 2 = 42 points, as opposed to 10 points without Super-Effort. That’s a +320% increase. To make the calculations simpler, this is rounded down to +300%. That is, each level of super-strength costs 40 points.
In short, the price difference is likely that rounding error between the calculated +320% and the +300% that whswhs (and Kromm during editing) decided on to make things easier.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:27 AM   #6
kirbwarrior

Considering the first option is simpler, I'd just go with that and buy down HP, then maybe invest into some DR or damage divisors to not be so glass cannon, both of which will enjoy being cheapened with those limitations. The reason I say this is because of how Super Effort was 'built' onto strength (check Supers, I believe it talks about why it came to that price).

EDIT: Phantasm explained the box already ;)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote