Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #21
jason taylor

Default Re: Aliens RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I've always assumed that one of the main jobs of the Colonial Marines was "bug hunts", i.e. exterminating (or at least suppressing) inconvenient low tech sophont species, with the pretext that they are merely animals.

Not sure how drop ship firepower helps that, though the nerve gas certainly makes sense.
I always assumed that to be military black humor, not a representation that the Colonial Marines are Nazi wannabes. When they are fighting they are usually fighting aliens. Who may or may not be low-tech, and are likely to be pretty tough customers whether or no. Military humor can be pretty grisly.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #22
Phoenix_Dragon

Considering "bug hunt" was contrasted with "a stand-up fight," I got the impression that a "bug hunt" was going and sweeping an area without a clear objective while looking for a threat that might not even exist. Basically, a snipe hunt.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #23
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
1's are NOT autofails on stress dice. They're "make a panic check."
1d6+accumulated stress for ≤9 or autofail. (7-9 have consequences, but they don't prevent the rolled action. 10+ does.)
Thanks! I stand corrected. (Risk of a one-shot where no one knows the system.) And there's a text box that androids not running out of ammo is a feature, not a bug.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:19 AM   #24
CeeDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
Quick thought -- in Alien, Ash talks about how valuable the xenomorph would be to the Company. In Aliens, Burke talks about its value to the bio-weapons division. Who is the Company (or its customers) fighting that they need that kind of killing power?
Late to the party. I always assumed that Wayland-Yutani was (among other things) a weapons manufacturer with one or more governments as its customers. So, their customers are probably fighting each other.

Last edited by CeeDub; 03-13-2020 at 06:37 AM.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:43 AM   #25
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Late to the party. I always assumed that Wayland-Yutani was (among other things) a weapons manufacturer with one or more governments as its customers. So, their customers are probably fighting each other.
Yes. There are also fears of the communist nation (typical communist dictatorship nation), and there is also the fact the xenomorphs can produce some extremely useful substances for pharmaceuticals.

Though interestingly enough, the UA is angry at Weyland-Yutani for the LV-426 debacle.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote