Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Will buy: UT2: Revised / Reworked Weapon Tables (Post-Pyramid etc.)

While I understand that I would be in the minority, I would have no issues with a "revised" edition for any books, notably UT (to make it work better with HT), HT (to make it work better with LT) and Magic (to make it work better with the whole system). I would pay again for shiny color hardcovers of them too.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #12
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
While I understand that I would be in the minority, I would have no issues with a "revised" edition for any books, notably UT (to make it work better with HT), HT (to make it work better with LT) and Magic (to make it work better with the whole system). I would pay again for shiny color hardcovers of them too.
I'm not sure how much of a minority we would be in. GURPS has revised things before. I'm pretty sure 3e had two different editions of Horror and Supers, for example, and GURPS 3e had its own revised edition.

Of course, GURPS 3e had a very long lifespan, but I expect 4e will as well. I can imagine a "new edition" of Magic and UT, particularly Magic (while there are complaints about UT, it's at least more compatible with 4e than Magic is) happening before the end of 4e, though I expect if they do make a new edition of these books, it won't be for some years, and might not be in the same format as the previous books (smaller PDF "chapters" or something, testing the water)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I kinda see a complete UT Revised as not plausible in the nearest future due to simultaneously being a big project and being low priority compared to other projects. But Revised Weapons seems to be on the level of LTCs or slightly bigger than Pyramids, or maybe slightly bigger than Technical Grappling. The tools to make it not only exist, but it seems the people like the tools, and I suspect there will be people interested in tinkering with those tools for money.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
Apache
On Notice

While I seriously doubt you will ever see a UT Revised hardback (or Magic Revised hardback), I don't see why PDF's can't be made.

Aside from the fact that they don't have the manpower or budget for it, of course.

I don't really see a problem with it, however. HT is basically going to be used by folks running 'modern' games, and for folks running 'futuristic' games, you just use UT as written, and ignore HT.....
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I don't really see a problem with it, however. HT is basically going to be used by folks running 'modern' games, and for folks running 'futuristic' games, you just use UT as written, and ignore HT.....
This can run into problems in "near-future" campaigns, in which society is transitioning from TL8 to TL9, or facing a more advanced enemy. The alien invaders look a lot less scary when their fancy-shmancy blasters or gauss rifles are outperformed by simple M16s or G36s.

I'd also love a UT Revised, especially if it gave some more weapon, armor, and maybe vehicle design rules (not the full VDS, but an expansion on the Spaceships-based system, for example).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #16
jacobmuller

I'd buy it.
Despite accepting that UT is more of a Whatif book than a Thisisit and therefore we're meant to DIY for our own settings.

It would definitely be nice to have a better way to DIY things than best guesses. Pyramid #34 and #37 were good but I'd like to see them combined and extended to all weapons.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Genesis

I would absolutely buy that PDF. I'd probably be in for a hardback, as unlikely as it is to get one. I've been kicking around a near-future campaign for a while but it's hard to get traction - HT has totally spoiled me. So yes: UT Weapons Revised would be a welcome PDF.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
lexington

I know budget issues make it unlikely but I'll toss my hat into the pile. An update PDF for UT would be great.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
This can run into problems in "near-future" campaigns, in which society is transitioning from TL8 to TL9, or facing a more advanced enemy. The alien invaders look a lot less scary when their fancy-shmancy blasters or gauss rifles are outperformed by simple M16s or G36s.
Or just for people with a concern for universal consistency and realism. People don't complain the awful design of Star Trek personal weapons because of Kirk getting repeatedly outshot by TL8 weapons.

I'd certainly buy something like this.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 12-13-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post

I'd also love a UT Revised, especially if it gave some more weapon, armor, and maybe vehicle design rules (not the full VDS, but an expansion on the Spaceships-based system, for example).
Strangely though some sci-fi seems to have this kind of scenario "fit". In the Stargate franchise, the Earth HT automatic projectile weapons like machine guns seemed at least the equals of the UT energy weapons much of the time. The aliens mostly had the advantage due to non-weapons tech, like personal force shields, occasional mind control, hardier metabolisms, and, of course, having powerful assault vehicles that could fire from the air or from space. When they faced off against the replicators, it was pretty much only the HT weapons that could deter them, with the UT blasters being worse than useless against them.

Tags
equipment, superscience, technology, ultra-tech, weapons