Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #21
tbone

Default Re: A 10-pack of DFRPG questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Problem with that is Moderators might hit you and fuse the threads together. Plus people who see a thread STILL active will more than likely check it out, and if you are updating the first post with added questions with answer then it would be more helpful for everyone. Not to mention the easy of searching.
I've got my next 10 questions, and will give a thought as to where to best post 'em . . .

In the meantime, I've started collecting the responses to old questions on my site. Just a handful for now, with more to come soon, here.

Thanks again to all who've replied to my too-many questions!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:56 AM   #22
tbone

I've made some additions to my online tracking of responses to DFRPG questions. (Which, if nothing else, might keep me from forgetfully asking the same questions over and over.)

Yet for all the answers, the questions never really end, do they. For those willing to ponder further the mysteries of The Sacred-ish Texts, I offer another batch. Just five today:

1. A sticky point: The Balanced weapon mod is off-limits for sticks (unless involving the sensible option from Pyramid 3/89, which offers it for sticks at +14 CF). My question concerns what counts as a stick. Baton, short baton, short staff, jo, and quarterstaff, I'm thinking; am I missing something? And would spear and boomerang (which is a throwing stick in the game, not a returning flier) count as sticks for this purpose? (I'm thinking no; let 'em have Balanced for +4 CF.)

2. Liquid salve?: The name Balm of Regeneration (Adventurers p. 116) suggests some sort of ointment to me; the description further describes it as a salve. Shouldn't this be labeled "Utility", not "Drinkable"?

3. Reading time: Is there a guideline somewhere for how much reading time is required to gain the benefits of a manual or tome in the field? I don't see an answer in DFRPG or DF 4. (This can be a vital matter when time is tight, possibly making Speed-Reading a critical skill.)

4. Grenadeslingers: Pardon me if I've asked this before (though if I did, I may be adding something new this time): Can the heavy sling hurl potions or other grenades? (I figure the answer is one of "No", "Sure, if you really want to", or "Yes, that's exactly what it's for!")
To add a bit: Low-Tech states that the heavy sling can hurl grenades and the regular sling can too, though at Acc 0 and 40% range.
That aside, my working assumption for DFRPG has been that the heavy sling throws only 1-lb. rocks and grenades, while the regular sling throws only small stones and bullets. Anybody out there playing things differently?
(Oh, a miscellaneous bit of info while we're talking slings: I didn't realize for some time that the heavy sling requires two hands; it's an easy detail to miss. FYI, slingers!)

5. Powt? Pawt?: I think I've seen the word "paut" here and there, though it's not in my dictionary. How do you folks pronounce this? Pow-t? Paw-t? Something else?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 04-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
Dalin

[QUOTE=tbone;2319967]I've made some additions to my online tracking of responses to DFRPG questions. (Which, if nothing else, might keep me from forgetfully asking the same questions over and over.)

Bookmarked. Thank you!

I'll take a stab at some of these, which hopefully won't deter Kromm from making an appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
1. A sticky point:
The list on p. 106 of Adventurers (above the picture) includes everything on your list plus boomerang, club, stake, and woomera. It doesn't include spear.

Quote:
2. Liquid salve?: The name Balm of Regeneration (Adventurers p. 116) suggests some sort of ointment to me; the description further describes it as a salve. Shouldn't this be labeled "Utility", not "Drinkable"?
I agree, though the only mechanical distinction is in the time to apply. Perhaps this salve can be slapped on in a second (a ready maneuver) rather than taking a long action like other utility potions. (Note that the long action, as far as I can tell, isn't defined.) I might say that a salve takes two turns to apply.

Quote:
3. Reading time
Not sure about this.

Quote:
4. Grenadeslingers
I like the idea of grenades in a heavy sling; the weights match, so I can't think of a reason not to allow it. The difference in size and weight between a regular sling stone/bullet and a grenade suggests that a regular sling wouldn't be an ideal launching tool.

Quote:
5. Powt? Pawt?
I wondered about this when I first played DFRPG. I settled on a two-syllable version: pah-oot.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #24
mburr0003

Quote:
5. Powt? Pawt?: I think I've seen the word "paut" here and there, though it's not in my dictionary. How do you folks pronounce this? Pow-t? Paw-t? Something else?
I pronounce it like "out". Since 'au' in English is pronounced as the ow in brown.

However, Sean Punch lives in Canada where things are pronounced in a more frenchie style sometimes. So YMMV.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #25
Taneli

Regarding Fast-Draw, readying a weapon isa maneuver, and outside of your turn you do not have a maneuver, so you can't use it to ready a weapon. What Fast-Draw skill enables you to do is to then practically choose another maneuver after you've already chosen one to ready your weapon - assuming that you succeed with your skill roll, of course.

That said, fiction is full of examples of people fast drawing their weapons to defend themselves against an attack, and as far as I am aware, there is a whole real world martial arts style for drawing your sword, so as a GM I might allow it, with the provision that if you fail your Fast-Draw roll, you get no defence for that attack, AND that your next maneuver will be to ready that weapon, AND that were you to be attacked another time before your next turn, you couldn't try to fast draw that weapon again. And maybe give a -2 to all defences before your next turn.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:29 AM   #26
InexplicableVic

Quote:
I think most of our group has pronounced it as \ ˈpau̇t \ (powt, with the "ow" sound), which is the same as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary's pronunciation of the word pout. But now that you have asked it, I wonder if we aren't pronouncing it incorrectly.

The only other English word that immediately sprang to mind spelled the same way is taut, which is pronounced \ ˈtȯt \ (tawt, with the "aw" sound).

And, interestingly, there is an entry for the word paut in Merriam Webster's online dictionary, although referenced as "chiefly Scottish" (I've never heard it used in the United States). It is an intransitive verb that apparently means "to paw the ground : STAMP" or to "FINGER, POKE," or "to walk about slowly." And that is pronounced \ ˈpȯt \ (pawt, with the "aw" sound).

Based on that, it appears that it should be pronounced the same way we pronounce taut, with the "aw" sound. But that may not be the way it was designed! It's an interesting little mystery.

Last edited by InexplicableVic; 04-26-2020 at 09:39 PM.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #27
Balor Patch

"Paut, described in ancient Egyptian texts" (Thaumatology p.52) is presumably pronounced in an ancient Egyptian accent.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:43 PM   #28
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
"Paut, described in ancient Egyptian texts" (Thaumatology p.52) is presumably pronounced in an ancient Egyptian accent.
I think the "Ancient egyptian Text" is actually Gurps Egypt... I believe this is where paut first appeared in Gurps, so Thomas Kane is probably the one to ask.

There was a thread a while ago about the prononciation of Paut (edit : 2): http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=153405 and http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=47317

Last edited by Celjabba; 04-26-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:21 AM   #29
tbone

Thanks for the replies!

Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin
The list on p. 106 of Adventurers (above the picture) includes everything on your list plus boomerang, club, stake, and woomera. It doesn't include spear.
You're right. Good spotting!

Salve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin
I agree, though the only mechanical distinction is in the time to apply. Perhaps this salve can be slapped on in a second (a ready maneuver) rather than taking a long action like other utility potions. (Note that the long action, as far as I can tell, isn't defined.) I might say that a salve takes two turns to apply.
So: It has characteristics of a typical utility concoction but the application time of a drinkable item, and thus it gets classified as the latter. Hm, interesting idea. "Drinkable" feels like an error to me, but you might be right on the money.

Fast-Draw readying for a Parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli
Regarding Fast-Draw, readying a weapon isa maneuver, and outside of your turn you do not have a maneuver, so you can't use it to ready a weapon. What Fast-Draw skill enables you to do is to then practically choose another maneuver after you've already chosen one to ready your weapon - assuming that you succeed with your skill roll, of course.
Alternately, we could think of Fast-Draw as a roll allowed at any appropriate time to freely ready an item without a Ready. Meaning that the character who performs some maneuver, and who then needs to Parry with a sheathed weapon, can use Fast-Draw even though selecting a Ready that turn is no longer legal – because successful Fast-Draw negates the need for a Ready.

I like that effect, but I don't know that it's RAW kosher. Maybe RAW is as you suggest. I have a suspicion the answer is buried somewhere in GURPS, but I haven't found it (including in MA).

For now, I'll allow it. Just because I like it. : )

Paut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba
There was a thread a while ago about the prononciation of Paut
Great find! All right, I see it's truly an unanswered question.

I'm going with the pronunciation "pawt", simply because the pronunciation "powt" already exists (in "pout"), and I prefer giving this magical potion its own unique name. But it'd be interesting to find out how fantasy authors (including Kromm!) "hear" the word.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #30
Dammann

Quote:
I'm going with the pronunciation "pawt", simply because the pronunciation "powt" already exists (in "pout"), and I prefer giving this magical potion its own unique name. But it'd be interesting to find out how fantasy authors (including Kromm!) "hear" the word.
As long as you don’t call a kettle of it black...

I know this is some thread necromancy, but I could not help but comment that both “powt” and “pawt” are pronunciations of other words. With so much so thought out and spelled out in GURPS, I sort of enjoy the ambiguous lack of guidance on what amounts to fluff.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote