Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #31
larsdangly

Default Re: Munchkiny starting characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
My rule has always been that a charge attack requires at least a movement of 2 hexes. I know this contradicts ITL but it makes better sense. No one goes from 0 to 30 in 4', not even 0 to 10 without starting blocks. And a charge should require some momentum.
My interpretation of the charge rules is that they mimmic lunging as well.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #32
David Bofinger

Quote:
My rule has always been that a charge attack requires at least a movement of 2 hexes. I know this contradicts ITL but it makes better sense. No one goes from 0 to 30 in 4', not even 0 to 10 without starting blocks. And a charge should require some momentum.
What if your previous turn was "move ten hexes toward my enemy"? You can't assume people are at a standing start.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #33
hcobb

Page 111: "If you begin your move next to (but not engaged with) an enemy, you can move one hex away and then move back – this is still a charge attack"
Old 11-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #34
larsdangly

One can house rule in any way that suits you, but I think the RAW are clear: if you moved 1 or more hexes on a turn you deliver a charge attack, in any direction or combination of directions, you get your charge bonus with a pole weapon (and suffer the set vs. charge bonus if you approach a pole weapon wielder from the front).

Personally, I'm good with it for several reasons. First, pole weapons should be a strong choice for lots of characters in lots of situations, and I don't like rulings that nerf them into irrelevance. Second, the power of a thrusting attack backed up with your full body weight can be generated with just a couple feet of forward movement, so it is realistic to provide the bonus in diverse situations, so long as you are on the move.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #35
hcobb

Can you two weapon two Javelins for two charge bonuses?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #36
larsdangly

That is a good question. I am not aware of any rules that forbid it; one thing to look at is the formal wording of what constitutes a charge attack, and the Two Weapons talent. It is possible that a charge attack and a standard attack are intended to be two different things, with special things like double attacks and so forth only applying to the latter. But I haven't read the rules with this possibility in mind.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #37
platimus

Quote:
I concur but it doesn't really matter unless you are using a polearm. Even then, besides charging polearms going first, it really doesn't matter because there's no damage bonus unless you moved 3 hexes in a straight line toward the target during the charge.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #38
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Can you two weapon two Javelins for two charge bonuses?
I don't know of any rule against it.

With the new super-easy one-handed wielding of two-handed weapons, at ST 16 you can charge with a halberd in each hand. And all Octopi have the ST to wield three pike axes...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #39
RobW

I did a solitaire Death Test run with the hcobb Charlie-Delta-Indy-Jones team below. Our group seems to want to wait for hardcopy before adopting the new rules, so this was a chance for me to get to better grips with them.

Charlie & Delta -- the originals
ST 12 DX 11 IQ 9 MA 10
Broadsword(2d), Lt Crossbow(2d), 60 Quarrels, Small shield(1), Dagger(1d-1)
Sword(2), Crossbow(1), Missile Weapons(3), Shield(1), Toughness(2)

Indy & Jones -- modified from the MNSH thread
ST 9 DX 12 IQ 11 MA 12
ready weapons: javelin (1d), whip (various!)
secondary: another javelin, dagger
Pole weapons (2), Pole weapon expertise (3), running (2), tactics (1), two weapons (2), whip(1)

The strategy began as hcobb's original, Indy and Jones to engage, Charlie and Delta to drop prone and fire. It changed somewhat as time went on due to all the options the whips offered.

1. Defending. I played it according to a "conservative" view from Advanced Melee. That is, a figure who moved only 1 hex could select Defend as an option. This meant Indy & Jones could not "charge Defend" (forcing 5D/adjDX to hit). BUT.. I had missed this, Two Weapons now makes you harder to hit (as well as parrying damage) when you parry with both weapons. I thought it was reasonable to allow parrying with a whip in this way, like you use a cloak defensively in GURPS, perhaps. This meant Indy and Jones could move 1/2 MA, select double parry, and still require defenders to roll 4D/adjDX to hit. This tactic was very useful.

2. Initiative and tied adjDX. This came up way more than I expected. Tactics skill was immense. For example, it meant that I knew ahead of time both prone crossbowman could fire before the adjacent bear could attack one of them.

3. Whips. The whips felt more fun than broken to me. The combination of two potential attacks, javelin charge attacks, potential shrewd attacks, and whip/lasso effects meant a boggling number of options for Indy and Jones. Enemies were in a real state because the range of the whip + MA 12 + TACTICS initiative meant Indy & Jones could usually get a safe initial knock-down attempt. The reasons they didn't feel broken: DX12 misses enough. 2, the minimum rnage of 3 hexes makes things difficult. 3, the rooms in DT didn't lend themselves to having eg Indy expertly defending while Jones stands behind with the whip, at least I couldn't get that to happen. Too many enemies and space. But there are so many options here, maybe a really powerful strategy is lurking. I think once Indy & Jones get to 36pts or so, things will get broken and munchkiny.

4. Standing up rule. The new standing up action occurs after all other combat actions. So knocked down fighters often suffered almost two full turns of attacks while down. Nothing surpring there, knock-down is even more important now.

Everyone survived, although Charlie and Jones took damage. I went through all the rooms, and there were probably three times I was worried someone was going to die (usually Jones). But only rarely did the battles feel routine and too easy, nearly always required some careful planning.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #40
hcobb

Did you try the 3d shrewd charge with Javelin onto the whiped?

Do 8 points and they're fallen for another turn so back up and do it again! (Running helps)