Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Being in the same hex as an ally

The rules state: "You can always move through an ally’s hex. This simply costs one extra movement point." and "Any number of people may participate in close combat in the same hex." I didn't find any other comments on the subject.

Should I assume that that means that two, or more, allies can be in the same hex and do whatever they want to do without penalties?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Being in the same hex as an ally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Should I assume that that means that two, or more, allies can be in the same hex and do whatever they want to do without penalties?
The question here is "Are they in Close Combat?", even though they are not fighting one another.

Personally.... I'm of two minds on this one. On one hand, they should be. On the other it makes all the penalties of Close Combat inherently much more terrible and begs the question of "Why hasn't this come up in the last 15 years and been errataed?"
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Tom H.

Oooh, a one yard hex isn't a very big place.

From my GURPS knowledge this is my opinion:

A character really needs a whole hex to fight from normally.

You can bunch up allies in a hex in say a "crowded elevator" outside of combat.

You need to be close to an enemy to grapple him i.e. the same hex. But allies can enter the grapple to help out either side. For rules convenience, this all seems to occur in the same hex of close combat. But obviously there is a realistic, practical limit to the number of close combatants piling into the same hex. The rules I've seen don't seem to fret over the expanding size in hexes of such a dog pile.

I wouldn't be letting allies share a hex outside of such related scenarios as above.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Rhino

I would rule that sharing a hex with an ally constitutes "bad footing" as referenced in the attack and defense modifier tables and gives a -2 penalty to attacks and a -1 penalty to defenses. It also leaves you both vulnerable to explosion or area effects.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

DD, this is probably a good question to PM Kromm over.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
I would rule that sharing a hex with an ally constitutes "bad footing" as referenced in the attack and defense modifier tables and gives a -2 penalty to attacks and a -1 penalty to defenses. It also leaves you both vulnerable to explosion or area effects.
I think this is fair, but there also needs to either be some sort of training in working together in close quarters combat, or a roll each turn to avoid bumping your ally.

Something along the lines of:
Tight Formations: Phalanx aficionados are well aware of the advantages of concentrating warriors in a close formation. If both fighters have shield wall training or similar formation fighting perks, they can put two fighters in the same hex at a penalty of -2 to attacks, -1 to defenses, and -1 move (min 1). With the right equipment and tactics, this can be devastating - it is a common military tactic.

Fighters without formation experience must roll vs. the lower of PER or DX every round they take any violent action, failure meaning they bump their ally at an inopportune moment, doubling the penalties above. On a crit failure roll 3d: on a 6 or less they hit their ally for full damage (defenses possible, at -2, if a PER roll is made), 9 or less they hit their ally for half damage, otherwise they trip and fall down.

Note that the PCs are often outnumbered in RPGs, so this sort of rule will cut the other way when they're up against the Orcish legion or Badhobbit swiss pikemen (who are small enough to fit four fighty Badhobbits in a hex).
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
Bruno

I just call it "in Close Combat"; my players seem fine with that. Extra rolls seems pretty fiddly to me - particularly when dealing with NPCs as they will outnumber the PCs... and therefore require me (the GM) to make a lot of extra rolls. Blech.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I just call it "in Close Combat"; my players seem fine with that. Extra rolls seems pretty fiddly to me - particularly when dealing with NPCs as they will outnumber the PCs... and therefore require me (the GM) to make a lot of extra rolls. Blech.
I'd just make sure NPCs who use tight formations have the appropriate perks. It IS a little fiddly, but tightly packed close order melee infantry was definitely a thing, and I kinda-sorta want to humble hotshot PCs with weensy little hobbit pikemen hedgehogs.

Or at least make them appreciate area spells properly.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I'd just make sure NPCs who use tight formations have the appropriate perks.
This is DFRPG, the appropriate perks do not exist.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
This is DFRPG, the appropriate perks do not exist.
Maybe they can be rephrased as optional rules.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote