Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Dalin

Default DFRPG for kids

Background: We've got an active gaming community in the middle school where I work. I often sponsor RPG activities for students, sometimes managing 40+ students at tables in multiple classrooms. We've generally fallen back on D&D as the default system since it is better known, it was easier to pick up used rulebooks, and it required less work from me and the other adults. We could pull sets of pre-generated characters from on-line sources, purchase cheap, age-appropriate PDF adventures, and give an initial presentation about the d20 mechanic so that even totally new players could have a game going within 45 minutes. With the arrival of the DFRPG, I have a GURPS-based system that I can easily introduce to younger players. I think it will be a hit.

We're planning on purchasing a few boxed sets and offering a DFRPG activity this spring. Leading up to that, I've got a few questions:
  1. Do you think we need to have a boxed set for each table, or could two tables share a single set? (We're not sure yet what our budget cap will be.)
  2. Are there any other DFRPG adventures out there that are suited for new, younger players? (In case some groups finish I Smell a Rat and want further material.)
  3. Any recommendations for what to go over in an initial presentation? I'm thinking I'll go over the basic skill roll mechanic and model a simple combat. I always talk briefly about the GM's role and the importance of keeping the game fun and moving forward. Ideally, the kids will have enough of an understanding that they can ignore most rules and just fall back on skill rolls.
  4. Any other tips or ideas?

Thank you!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote