Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-14-2019, 05:08 AM   #31
oldwolf

Default Re: Pre-Gen Character Card Errors

My thoughts on the wizards that I suggested need knife skill were mostly for logical character design.

The halfling cook obviously intends to use them in combat or he would only carry one, only an idiot would assume he would always be able to stand off and throw them, lastly, he is a chef and must be using knives constantly.

Littlecut, is an assassin for gosh sakes, one of the classic cloak and dagger types. Lastly his name, almost certainly a self chosen nick name, implies that he expects to cut opponents or victims.

Fiona, may be such a starting character that indeed she hasn't become skilled with knife yet so her not having the talent is more reasonable. By the way, what is with halflings and ankle sheaths? On most people it is a good place since it is concealed by their boot. But halflings have a tradition of being barefoot, no?

And, here are the last wizards that need correction:

Cerion is an elf so elven language should be free. Also in her description: "When she fights seriously with her saber, she may use the Staff power at the same time, adding an armor bypassing die of damage to the results." The ability to do this is Staff IV. Cerion only has Staff III.

Uver Uver has Create/Destroy Gate spell but it doesn't exist; should have Create Gate. She also needs Staff IV, she has Staff III.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #32
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Personally I'd add a note in each case that this specific wizard was training to use his dagger or sword and would buy the talent as soon as he had the XP.
In Legacy Edition, no one is required to select talents to train in and can spend their XP on whatever they want when they earn enough. So this seems more like a house rule.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #33
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
In Legacy Edition, no one is required to select talents to train in and can spend their XP on whatever they want when they earn enough. So this seems more like a house rule.
Not as a restriction on the character, but as a nudge to the player to remind them to take this into account during play.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #34
JLV

Quote:
Not as a restriction on the character, but as a nudge to the player to remind them to take this into account during play.
Okay, but I still personally wouldn't do that. It at least implies questions about changing their mind and all that other stuff that comes along with it, is likely to start one of those tedious rules arguments, and I just figure that it unnecessarily complicates the game. However, having said that, to each his own!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #35
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Note on languages - you don't automatically get both a racial language and Common Tongue. See p. 17. Reality check: those born in a multicultural area will probably learn Common at their mother's knee; those born to a single-race area will probably learn a local racial language. Balance check: One free language per person. Stevie's Hidden Canon check - I see Humans, Halflings, and most Goblins as highly assimilated and most likely to speak Common as their only language. Dwarves, Elves, and Orcs less so, unless they are, personally, from multicultural cities. Perhaps the Humans &c are the "Americans" of Cidri, and the Elves &c are the "Europeans" ?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #36
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Orcs to look at! This is the final-we-think layout for the 24 orcs in DoD. Art by Rick Hershey. Errors, if any, by me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Orc Cards Print.pdf (6.20 MB, 76 views)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #37
hcobb

Do we assume daggers for orcs sans MG?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #38
JLV

Quote:
Do we assume daggers for orcs sans MG?
So it says on the instructions card at the bottom of the PDF.

I love the art work! Well done. Though, based on the art work, I have to ask if Narzad shouldn't actually have a lower DX, given his lack of depth perception and inability to see anything on his right side...
Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #39
hcobb

Orcs seem like the race for cestus.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #40
the1weasel

Quote:
Orcs seem like the race for cestus.
As in