Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 11-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #41
Astromancer

Default Re: Bio-tech related Quirks and Perks

Certain Male animals go through Musth a state not unlike female mammals going through heat/Estrus. Periods of heightened sexual drive and general irritability are common for mammals.

A Quirk level version of this sort of thing would be a obvious choice for THS.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #42
Flyndaran
Untagged

One could argue that humans are always in a low grade musth/heat compared to other primates. Increasing it seems unnecessary and very counter-productive to any purpose I can imagine. Unless you absolutely want poverty stricken teen pregnancies regardless of their general intelligence and risk control practices.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #43
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
One could argue that humans are always in a low grade musth/heat compared to other primates. Increasing it seems unnecessary and very counter-productive to any purpose I can imagine. Unless you absolutely want poverty stricken teen pregnancies regardless of their general intelligence and risk control practices.
Aren't you one of the people who complained that THS templates are too flawless and lacking in unintended drawbacks?
Old 11-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #44
Astromancer

Quote:
Most Quirks of this type represent minor failures of biotech. Odd twists that got into the mix. A male with a Musth cycle would have a problem in our society. It would be a pain, and Quirks are minor pains.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #45
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Aren't you one of the people who complained that THS templates are too flawless and lacking in unintended drawbacks?
Thank-you Vicky. This thread is about biologically logical flaws.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Oopsie drawbacks aren't carefully specialized endocrine based seasonal behaviors.
But okay, if you two want random implausible "quirks", I'll stop "thread-crapping" with my reasonable criticisms and try to think of cartoon features that fit this thread's intent.

Improved grip strength could be due to changed hand structures like that of the loris. Its index finger is kind of like a second thumb and the middle finger is like the index.
I don't know why anyone would want to mess with the efficient human hand for slightly better grip though.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:15 AM   #47
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Oopsie drawbacks aren't carefully specialized endocrine based seasonal behaviors.
But okay, if you two want random implausible "quirks", I'll stop "thread-crapping" with my reasonable criticisms and try to think of cartoon features that fit this thread's intent
Thing is, I don't think it's supposed to be restrict from de novo design. It could be a mismanaged carryover from transgenic sequences, like in the Felicia series. The criticism applies to more 'pure' designs, but not all designs are pure, and it was in no way clear that you meant to apply your comment only to pure designs (or maybe I missed something!).
Old 11-20-2016, 04:08 AM   #48
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Inhibited Abstraction:
There's nothing wrong with your general intelligence, but there's an issue with one peculiar aspect of your thinking: your mind defaults to concrete concepts unless and until you force yourself to move towards the abstract. When you were first taught numbers by using numbers of apples, you thought that the '1' symbol meant 'one apple'; when were taught the word 'person', it took quite a while to generalize it from the teacher to the teacher and yourself, and eventually to all the persons you met from then on.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #49
Astromancer

Quote:
Thing is, I don't think it's supposed to be restrict from de novo design. It could be a mismanaged carryover from transgenic sequences, like in the Felicia series. The criticism applies to more 'pure' designs, but not all designs are pure, and it was in no way clear that you meant to apply your comment only to pure designs (or maybe I missed something!).
Exactly, most of this quirks are unintended side effects. Some of these seem logical, some are jokers sprung out of the genetic deck.

Ancora Imparo
Old 11-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #50
Astromancer

Quote:
Inhibited Abstraction:
There's nothing wrong with your general intelligence, but there's an issue with one peculiar aspect of your thinking: your mind defaults to concrete concepts unless and until you force yourself to move towards the abstract. When you were first taught numbers by using numbers of apples, you thought that the '1' symbol meant 'one apple'; when were taught the word 'person', it took quite a while to generalize it from the teacher to the teacher and yourself, and eventually to all the persons you met from then on.
Interesting Quirk, logical, and surprising. Good for role-playing too.

Ancora Imparo