Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
Fred Brackin

Default Edge of TL9-Firearms

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-field-pistol/

This pistol has been a bit of vaporware for several years but the above article is written by a professional who shot one in a "normal" evaluation.

Why is it relevant to Gurps? Because it's a sub 8mm pistol that's P instead of P-. I know this without getting the numbers done by someone using Doug Cole's spreadsheet because it virtually duplicates the ballistics of the Winchester M1 carbine from High Tech. That'd be 4D+1. Actually P+ because th eonly load so far is a HP.

How do they manage this from a 6 inch barrel? At least a good part of the story would be loading it to over 50,000 psi. For people who don't keep pistol numbers in their head a 9mm maxes out at 39,000 and a .357 at 46,000. This is quite close to a 5.56mm Nato at 55,000.

A S&W .500 Magnum can be loaded up to 60,000 but one of those weighs more than 5 lbs and this BRNO 7.5mm comes in at under 3. It's big pistol for open carry or near open anyway but it's still a holster gun.

With a mentioned but unseen folding stock it'd weigh more but it might be considered a 2nd generation PDW. It'd probably still weigh less than a HKMP7 too.

So perhaps after 100 years of autoloading pistols using the same calibers we might see a new family of high pressure pistols with rifle-like speeds and calibers. So TL8 weapons might look a good bit different from UT as it currently is.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #2
warellis

Default Re: Edge of TL9-Firearms

Here is the folding stock, if you're wondering:
https://youtu.be/LtDAm-Te5VU
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Here is the folding stock, if you're wondering:
https://youtu.be/LtDAm-Te5VU
CGI of it anyway. That's from the "vaporware" category.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Black Leviathan

I don't think we'd see that technology arise unless there's a big shift in arms or armor. Generally the trend for bullets is smaller and higher velocity and higher rates of fire from lower recoil. When we use big charge, big slug shots, they're usually for specialty applications like bear hunting. A giant slug out of a short barrel has limits on it's accuracy and it loses velocity faster and it penetrates modern body armor more poorly than a small bullet with the same amount of force behind it. It makes an awesome PDW because a shot like that will crack all of your ribs through a hard vest at 20 feet, but I feel like you'd be in a lot of trouble trading shots with someone at the end of the block.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I don't think we'd see that technology arise unless there's a big shift in arms or armor. Generally the trend for bullets is smaller and higher velocity and higher rates of fire from lower recoil. When we use big charge, big slug shots, they're usually for specialty applications like bear hunting. A giant slug out of a short barrel has limits on it's accuracy and it loses velocity faster and it penetrates modern body armor more poorly than a small bullet with the same amount of force behind it. It makes an awesome PDW because a shot like that will crack all of your ribs through a hard vest at 20 feet, but I feel like you'd be in a lot of trouble trading shots with someone at the end of the block.
...This is a small (for a handgun) high-velocity bullet.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
...This is a small (for a handgun) high-velocity bullet.
7.5mm and 95 grains at 2000 feet per second. That's why it's the equivalent of the .30 M1 Carbine round and P rather than P-.

It's also $7500. That's one of the reasons why I don't think it's the future itself but more like a harbinger of what might be to come.