Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 AM   #131
Infojunky

Default Re: [Space] System Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
It is generated (in column EY of the sheet 'world details'), but it isn't in the output yet.
I found it like 30seconds after I posted, silly me.

Quote:
I intend to put it on the planet display, at the top of an 'economics' box. This is because I conceptualise the system summary page as being the stuff that you can determine from out in space, something that GM might hand over to an exploring party as soon as they arrive in system and do a bit of astronomy. It ought not to give away things that the GM might expect explorers to have to land and prospect to discover them.

Also, that table is very crowded.
Cool, Looking at the sheet I saw that there didn't appear to be anything in the posistion so I just dropped it in there. I didn't see any effects, but I didn't compare the the modified file vs. the master, tomorrow I'll look.

In my use that will be a better place when examining a system for possible habitation beyond the simple presence of a habitable planet. Though is the game goes into the exporation mode it might get deleted.

"Never let the fans touch your assets"
Bruce Harlick 2007
Infojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #132
Mgellis

A suggestion for the next version...

Is there any way to include whether or not a "tidally locked" world is actually tidally locked or in a resonant orbit like Mercury? (Among other things, this might affect the habitability of some worlds.) Since the roll is 11- = tidally locked and 12+ = resonant (see Space, p. 125), the odds are about 40% if orbital eccentricity is 0.1 or more. Such worlds would then have days lasting twice as long as their year, but they would actually rotate in respect to their primary stars.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #133
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Stephen Dole (Habitable Planets for Man, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, 1970 (ISBN 0-444-00092-5)) argues that the maximum apparent rotational period for a planet habitable by man is in the area of 96 hours.
How so? By the time people get to another planet why would day length mean that much? Major hassle for crop production, but that shouldn't be impossible to overcome.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #134
Mgellis

Quote:
I can, of course. Though as you might have guessed, the orbital eccentricities in the Space SS generation sequence are not among my favourite rules.
Thanks. Can you let us know when the new version of the spreadsheet is posted? (You may also want to post the link again...some people coming late to the thread may have trouble finding it. Again, thanks.)

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #135
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Daily temperature variation. Weather.
D'oh. And I just posted not that long ago on that very same subject.

Quote:
Why bother if it is less hassle and more comfortable to build and live in a space station?
Sheer space available at low per acre cost. Unless our species changes radically, we will always want to spread and reproduce like the plague.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #136
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Depends on the technology available. Terraforming a planet realistically takes a long time, barring superscience. Building a hab is much cheaper, in the short run. It will depend on what the vested interest is. Extracting raw materials will almost always be easier in microgravity. The short term incentives will tend towards asteroid belts/ clusters. Besides, you hollow out a large asteroid and it'll give you more livable surface than the earth. The difficulty is in dealing with the hazards of space(radiation, bone degeneration, etc) and building small scale high efficiency recycling technologies. You find solutions to these problems, you can fit much more people in asteroids than on a planet.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #137
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Sheer space available at low per acre cost. Unless our species changes radically, we will always want to spread and reproduce like the plague.
We're changing radically, then. Modern western nations would be experiencing declining populations were it not for immigration.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #138
Pomphis

Quote:
Unless our species changes radically, we will always want to spread and reproduce like the plague.
Based on RL, going to TL7/8 is enough to stop the spreading and reduce reproduction to maintenance levels. If you look at populations in modern western countries, the question is more where you get the colonists, unless you build lots of bioroids.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #139
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
We're changing radically, then. Modern western nations would be experiencing declining populations were it not for immigration.
That could just as easily be considered ultra-religious versus more sectarian nations. Living in one of, if not the most, religious industrialized western nation, U.S., those of us willingly childless get lambasted all the freakin' time.
Increasing safety, medical technology, and lower childhood death rates will increase growth rates. Unless average family sizes shrink to unlikely levels I just can't see zero population growth as even vaguely plausable.
I would sooner believe in FTL.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 AM   #140
Icelander

Quote:
Increasing safety, medical technology, and lower childhood death rates will increase growth rates. Unless average family sizes shrink to unlikely levels I just can't see zero population growth as even vaguely plausable.
I would sooner believe in FTL.
Let me get this straight.

You would rather believe in FTL travel than you'd believe in what happens to be the case in much of Western Europe?

Fantasy is more believable to you than reality?

I'm sorry, but I don't think reality is going to mind whether you believe in it or not.

Tags
space, system generation