Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-18-2021, 03:59 PM   #1
KnightWhoSaysNi

Default Do All Monsters Give A Level?

The way I've been playing, only monsters that specifically say that they give levels at the bottom of the card actually give any levels. However, I've come across some cards that seem to suggest giving levels, even though there's no level reward at the bottom.

One example of this is The Goose That Lays The Golden Eggs, from Munchkin Legends. At the bottom, it only gives 3 treasures, no levels, but the caption says if you kill it, you can take either the treasures or the level but not both.

Also the Newt from Munchkin 8, which says a wizard can cure it and take the treasures, but not the level.

Have I been playing wrong?

Last edited by KnightWhoSaysNi; 04-19-2021 at 09:28 AM.
KnightWhoSaysNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
pmpappas

Default Re: Do All Monsters Give A Level?

Welcome to the forums! FYI, I'm just a random guy who happened to see your post.

To get the answer straight from the Munchkin's mouth, go to this link

https://munchkin.game/site-munchkin/...in_rules-1.pdf

and read "Combat" which starts at the bottom right of page 3, most of your answer is in the first paragraph (but I'd read it all, it's not long).

Then read "Conflicts Between Cards and Rules" on the bottom left of page 1, and the first paragraph should provide the rest of your answer, about those pesky cards that break the rules (but I'd read it all, it's not long).

In fact, I'd read the entire rules sheet. It's a good start. ;-)

BTW, this is probably a question better suited for the Munchkin 101 forum, but I assume the admins will move it there if they think it's warranted. If you haven't yet, you might want to read "Announcement: A Quick Guide To The Munchkin Forums" at the top of both Munchkin and Munchkin 101 forums, as well as any "sticky" posts in those forums that have "READ" in the title.

"Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater." - Andrew Hackard

Last edited by pmpappas; 04-19-2021 at 07:45 AM.
pmpappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
pmpappas

I can't believe I almost forgot to mention this, but quoting card text is not allowed. Paraphrasing is fine, but no direct quotes. Why? Because Steve Jackson says so, that's why. ;-) You might want to edit your post and change the quotes to paraphrasing.

"Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater." - Andrew Hackard
pmpappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
KnightWhoSaysNi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpappas View Post
I can't believe I almost forgot to mention this, but quoting card text is not allowed. Paraphrasing is fine, but no direct quotes. Why? Because Steve Jackson says so, that's why. ;-) You might want to edit your post and change the quotes to paraphrasing.
Ah, I must've skimmed over that, thanks!
KnightWhoSaysNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
Mister Ed

Even though reading the rules closely is good advice, I'd like to answer the initial question here, anyway.

Yes, all Monsters give a level when they are defeated, unless there is text that says otherwise. So if it says nothing, it gives one level. If it is going to give anything besides one level, it will specify that on the card (which is why some cards say "2 levels").
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote