Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-20-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Vardlokkur

Default What Got You Into Gaming?

I made a thought provoking video to ask everyone what got them into the gaming they now play. It could be RPG, consoles, tabletop minis, cards or anything.

I cast my mind back and realised that while Bloodbowl was my first game that got me into warhammer, my love of gaming came from much earlier sources. This video explains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhVHnsauT4

I now invite you to tell me on there or here if you don't have a YouTube account (or both) what got YOU into gaming? Let's see how many common sources we share, regardless of country we live in.
Vardlokkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
Agemegos

Default Re: What Got You Into Gaming?

It was an article by John M Ford in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine in about July 1979: "On Evenings Beyond the Fields We Know".

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I was raised a gamer. My dad was a hardcorps wargamer who used to game with Stephen Cole and Bruce Boston in college (it sometimes seems like my dad's the one who isn't famous). He hated RPGs (in that unique kind of "it's killing the hobby" way that only geeks can manage) though, so maybe that was my version of youth rebellion. :)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
jason taylor

I just wanted something as elaborate as dune, and while wandering in a gamestore came across a copy of Pocket Empires.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Apache
On Notice

It was the loose women and the easily available drugs, in addition to the ultraviolent lifestyle.

Ah, the good old days. I miss them so....
Old 05-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It was the loose women and the easily available drugs, in addition to the ultraviolent lifestyle.

Ah, the good old days. I miss them so....
Actually I'd rather have a girl next door in a kosher relationship than a loose woman. Call me a prude. But I never even thought loose women sounded all that sexually attractive other considerations aside.

But wouldn't the drugs be something of a distraction if you took them at the same time? Not to mention the ultraviolent lifestyle, which must be awfully hard on the looks of all the loose women.

Last edited by jason taylor; 05-20-2011 at 09:47 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Ed the Coastie

I was a Freshman in high school when my Civics class did an overnight "lock in" to watch the 1980 Presidential Election returns. Some of my classmates were taking the opportunity to play D&D, but one of the guys hadn't been able to make it that night. So one of them turned to me and said "Hey, Eddie...wanna play D&D?"

"OK," I replied.

Less than ten minutes later I was sitting at the table with a couple of slices of pepperoni-and-mushroom pizza and a can of Coke, rolling up a character.

The rest, as they say, is history...
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
whswhs

I went to my first science fiction convention, and while I was looking around, I walked into a room when a group of people were playing D&D. This was back in the days of the three little tan books (1975, I think). I thought, "That sounds cool!" and exchanged phone numbers with the dungeon master. . . .

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Whitestreak

I got started back in 1972, when my sister's then-boyfriend introduced me to *his* hobby - miniatures wargaming. The local group enjoyed many eras, and one of the favorites was Chainmail.

A couple of years later, someone brought in "The Fantasy Game" from this company called Tactical Studies Rules. They were sorta popular, but more amongst the younger crowd.

I got involved with Boot Hill and then Traveller, and my gaming, of all sorts, is still going strong.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
thrash

My father was a wargamer, with issues of Strategy and Tactics in piles in his office. I learned about roleplaying games (i.e., white box D&D) and game stores from an article in the Washington Post, c. 1975. The game store was sold out when we visited, but I ordered a copy from the next shipment.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote