Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
Mailanka

Default Re: GURPS Black Ops to 4th edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
Bang skills are great for certain types of Black Ops campaigns, but not all. I rather like the idea of Black Ops done with Harsh Realism and Tactical Shooting instead of Bang skills and Gun Fu. I hope that, if there ever is a 4e update to Black Ops, it would cover advice and templates/lenses for doing both.
Why would you think bang skills are mutually exclusive with tactical shooting and harsh realism? I grant you it's unlikely that someone is going to be so omnicompetent that they'd have a bang skill, but Black Ops agents already are omnicompetent, so Bang Skills are just a short-hand way to write "They have these gazillion skills."

And there's nothing inherently cinematic about bang skills beyond omnicompetence.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #22
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
For Black Ops templates I'd keep them at around 750 points for a new Black Ops agent. That puts them on a favorable footing compared with Champions from Monster Hunters (at around 400 points). I'd also allow for agents with mystic powers including magic. However, I would NOT allow Black Op agents that are Inhuman. That should be a major difference between what MH allows for Champions and Black Ops allows for its field agents. NO MONSTER BlacK Ops agents!
Of course no monsters are going to make it through the Academy, but monstrous contacts and allies wouldn't be out of place in a BLACK OPS game, and it's debatable what would become of an op who was were bitten or came down with Innsmouth Syndrome.

I did a rolicking, multigenerational BLACK OPS game with cabals within secret societies within the branches, spell magic as "Atlantic Sciences", WoD-style Garou and a few other "beasts within" and it was fabulous.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard

Last edited by jeff_wilson; 05-31-2011 at 12:14 AM.
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Why would you think bang skills are mutually exclusive with tactical shooting and harsh realism? I grant you it's unlikely that someone is going to be so omnicompetent that they'd have a bang skill, but Black Ops agents already are omnicompetent, so Bang Skills are just a short-hand way to write "They have these gazillion skills."

And there's nothing inherently cinematic about bang skills beyond omnicompetence.
I don't think they are mutually exclusive, but their catch-all nature is, IMO, counter to the gritty attention to detail you get in things like Tactical Shooting.

Also, Basic Set (and Monster Hunters, and probably any other work that brings them up) labels Wildcard skills as cinematic.

Lastly, most recent discussions about Black Ops have been related to Monster Hunters (for obvious reasons), and MH expands the wildcard skills a good deal, with more cinematic goodness.

All that said, all I really mean is I want to see is an alternative "Special Ops to the extreme" take on Black Ops, if that setting/concept is updated in the future.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #24
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenclary View Post
I don't think they are mutually exclusive, but their catch-all nature is, IMO, counter to the gritty attention to detail you get in things like Tactical Shooting.

Also, Basic Set (and Monster Hunters, and probably any other work that brings them up) labels Wildcard skills as cinematic.

Lastly, most recent discussions about Black Ops have been related to Monster Hunters (for obvious reasons), and MH expands the wildcard skills a good deal, with more cinematic goodness.

All that said, all I really mean is I want to see is an alternative "Special Ops to the extreme" take on Black Ops, if that setting/concept is updated in the future.
My point is mainly that, while Wild Cards are cinematic, if you're already dealing with a guy who has a skill list longer than what some sheets can handle, you might as well go ahead and put in a Wild Card skill or two. Ultimately, you're just saving space and Black Ops are already rather cinematic.

Of course, when I discuss that, I refer to the original "750 point Men in Black" Black Ops. I have no issue with a Delta-Green style "Special Ops vs Monsters." Sounds fun and, indeed, such a game wouldn't need Wild Card skills.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #25
Hannes665

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Yeah sorry, I am basing a campaign loosely off of Black Ops, but I'm using Special Ops templates. No 750 point players. I think we will be 250-300pts cause it's too dang hard to get a Delta Force/Navy SeAL for less than that. They will be military that slowly uncovers the evil in the world. No "company" to guide them. They will be instrumental in forming "the company" as they go through the campaign. It will be all set in present day.
For my Spec Opīs Campaigns I have mostly used 275 pts, -40 disads, -5 quirks and -20 Extreme Danger Sense of duty coming to a total of 340 pts. You should be able to build most Sealīs, Delta, SAS, SBS and so on, on these points.

Gurps - Seals in Nam has some nice early Seal templates and combined with Military hand to hand in Martial Arts and Fairbairn Close Combat you should have all you need. (Of course High Tech as a lot of cool weapons and equipment). For a game involving a lot of gun fight, Tactical Shooting can be handy.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"

Last edited by Hannes665; 05-28-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #26
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
For my Spec Opīs Campaigns I have mostly used 275 pts, -40 disads, -5 quirks and -20 Extreme Danger Sense of duty coming to a total of 340 pts. You should be able to build most Sealīs, Delta, SAS, SBS and so on, on these points.

Gurps - Seals in Nam has some nice early Seal templates and combined with Military hand to hand in Martial Arts and Fairbairn Close Combat you should have all you need. (Of course High Tech as a lot of cool weapons and equipment). For a game involving a lot of gun fight, Tactical Shooting can be handy.

If you are going to use Seals in Nam as a basis, please note that training requirements have expanded considerably since Vietnam, and that Corpsman are now required to complete both the standard SEAL pipeline as well as the 46-week SF Medical Sergeant Course. SEALs also receive a dazzling array of individual training, perhaps more than any other acknowledged unit - I won't go into details here unless someone is actually interested. For more info I would recommend Dick Couch, a Vietnam-era SEAL who wrote two books on modern SEAL training (The Warrior Elite and The Finishing School).
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #27
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson
... and it's debatable what would become of an op who was were bitten or came down with Innsmouth Syndrome.
I expect they'd just be put down, same as a renegade.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I expect they'd just be put down, same as a renegade.
And violate the Benthic treaty? Are you insane? :)
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #29
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
And violate the Benthic treaty? Are you insane?
The Black Chamber are self-evidently differently sane.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #30
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
And violate the Benthic treaty? Are you insane? :)
*blank*

Something to do with Charles Stross?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
special ops