Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Tinman

Default [DF] Secondary Attribute or Advantage?

I'm GM-ing a DF campaign & need help.
We are using the rules at the back of DF 3- The Next Level about training and training expenses.

What I can't figure out is if Lifting ST is a Secondary Attribute or an Advantage.
Any help about this would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:56 AM   #2
scc

Default Re: [DF] Secondary Attribute or Advantage?

The Secondary Attribute is Basic Lift, Lifting ST is an Advantage
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:10 AM   #3
Phantasm

In many ways, Lifting ST is kinda-sorta both. Officially, it's an Advantage, but is often treated as a Secondary Attribute... or more accurately, a fraction of an Attribute.

What it does is increase your effective ST for the purposes of determining Basic Lift ((ST^2)/5).

As for what I mean by "a fraction of an attribute", it's commonly accepted that "ST = Striking ST + Lifting ST + HP", with the unspoken assumption that you're effectively buying all three to an equilibrium before adding in additional levels of the others (or lowering HP).

Clear as mud?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
In many ways, Lifting ST is kinda-sorta both. Officially, it's an Advantage, but is often treated as a Secondary Attribute... or more accurately, a fraction of an Attribute.

What it does is increase your effective ST for the purposes of determining Basic Lift ((ST^2)/5).

As for what I mean by "a fraction of an attribute", it's commonly accepted that "ST = Striking ST + Lifting ST + HP", with the unspoken assumption that you're effectively buying all three to an equilibrium before adding in additional levels of the others (or lowering HP).

Clear as mud?
I get all the above. However, the rules for advancement in DF 3 are that you don't meet to pay training costs for attributes or secondary's.
I need to determine if Lift ST counts as an Advantage (which has training costs) or a Secondary Attribute (which doesn't).

It seems like it's an Advantage, although almost every thing else based on the base attributes is a secondary. Will, per, HP, FP, Basic speed, basic move, & other moves. It seems inconsistent that lifting ST & Strike ST are not.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Lifting ST and Striking ST aren't trainable unless you buy levels of the Special Exercises Perk.

This opens up the interesting possibility that you can assign a monetary cost to the point that the Perk costs but have the points for the levels in the associated Advantage cost nothing.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Lifting ST and Striking ST aren't trainable unless you buy levels of the Special Exercises Perk.
They are trainable in DF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I get all the above. However, the rules for advancement in DF 3 are that you don't meet to pay training costs for attributes or secondary's.
I need to determine if Lift ST counts as an Advantage (which has training costs) or a Secondary Attribute (which doesn't).
While I believe they should have been simply priced in the little boxes for Secondary Characteristics, RAW they are Advantages.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
While I believe they should have been simply priced in the little boxes for Secondary Characteristics, RAW they are Advantages.
They don't add directly to much much you can carry or how hard you hit with, so the way they are is correct
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
dripton

You're the GM, so it's up to you.

I choose to treat Lifting ST as a Secondary Attribute. I realize that it's in the Advantages section so this is questionable, but I think it fits better with the Secondary Attributes. Especially since its primary purpose (at least in a campaign not focused on grappling) is to increase Basic Lift, which is a Secondary Attribute.

Buying Lifting ST is very common in the games I run. At least in some genres, it's very common to run around encumbered all the time, and reducing encumbrance is just about as good as raising Basic Speed but much cheaper.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote