Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Magic: Death Spells

Fireballs are dandy
And death-touches are handy
But this will slay 'em
— Some creepy dude in a black robe
GURPS Magic hasn't had a new supplement in such a long time that people probably thought it was dead. Not quite . . . but death was in the equation. Specifically, GURPS Magic: Death Spells, a compendium of killer curses for murderous mages.

Sometimes, you just want to do damage, to beat down the enemy and take him for ransom or teach him a lesson he won't forget. Occasionally, the less-lethal touch isn't for your victim's benefit but for your own – you'd rather avoid desecrating the temple or facing a murder charge. GURPS Magic provides a wealth of spells that serve such purposes: fireballs and lightning bolts, magic that induces sleep or paralysis or sickness, and dozens of other possibilities that offer the option of victory without death.

And sometimes, you want your target dead, dead, dead. Then GURPS Magic is more limited. Fortunately, we're unearthed a new chapter of the grimoire which fills that need.

GURPS Magic: Death Spells is an exploration of "one casting, one kill" wizardry. It examines what constitutes a death spell, offers several distinct game mechanics for such curses, and then provides 48 grim examples – two for each of the 24 standard colleges. Yes, that does include Food, Healing, and Protection and Warning.

As is the custom of our people, these deadly one-shots come with a user's manual. Asides discuss special defenses against insta-kill curses, giving "death magic" its own college and mana aspect, getting clerics in on the act, interactions with the Resurrection spell, the forensics of magical murder, and even committing sorcerous suicide. On the meta level, there's also advice on keeping all this stuff balanced and introducing it into an ongoing campaign.

Whether you're a grim-dark cultist with a mysterious "NPC" tattooed on your forehead, a holy hero who wants to make sure Evil goes down and stays down, or a munchkin mage in search of the ultimate weapon, it's time to crack open a new spellbook.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0148
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: GURPS Magic: Death Spells

Shut up and take my money...I swear it's not cursed!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Blind Mapmaker

A truly elegant little supplement. Some of the spells are really unique. The tips for balancing Kromm mentions is a mini-spell-design system for deadly spells. Not saying it couldn't be expanded into something much larger (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
The tips for balancing Kromm mentions is a mini-spell-design system for deadly spells.
That's the part that I found the most interesting. I probably won't use the spells themselves - I dislike "Save or Die" effects.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Buzzardo

This is a great little supplement (but then, when did the Good Doktor ever write a bad one?). I already have plans for the Murder Blossom. Mwahahaha!

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

I just got this today - I'm impressed. Very cool stuff. Much of it will work its way into my DF game - just the place for Save or Die!
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
I just got this today - I'm impressed. Very cool stuff. Much of it will work its way into my DF game - just the place for Save or Die!
Occult games tend to be full of them too. The "And then I killed him" spells are a staple of Mage: the Ascension or Mage: the Awakening games, and I quite missed it in GURPS magic for my GURPS Cabal game. Even Path/Book magic has death spells (the Evil Eye and Doom), but Magic missed it. When I saw Death Spells in DF Magic Styles, I was already planning on stealing them and adding them to my collection of Appropriate Cabal Spells, then this book came out. Wonderful! I'm not sure I'd use all of them, but that's the point behind generic magic systems, I can pick and choose what I want, and this is a rich vein to mine!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Refplace

Pretty cool book, not read it all yet.
I noticed an errata, the Yen sign was not converted into multiplication under Aggravated Injury on page 7
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

So most of these spells are Magery 3, and have a die limit on casting - like, Doomtouch being 1-8d.

Do higher levels of Magery affect these normally? Magery 6 allows Doomtouch 1-11d?

I'd say yes, because if you have Magery 6 and death spells in your game, you clearly want bodies stacked up high and wide. But I just wanted to make sure of the authorial intent here.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Stripe

My jaw dropped open when I saw this. Ordering now.

Look out, my Dungeon Fantasy PC's! ;-)
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death spells, magic