Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
reb

Default question

what exactly is a ''sock puppet?'',heard yall mention that term several times and have no clue what it actually means.
from what i gather through deduction it's a person acting as several different people???
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: question

Yes.

The term comes from Usenet, or possibly pre-Usenet mailing lists, where it was all-too-common to post to contentious threads under multiple email addresses to make it look like other people agreed with your position. The behaviour was likened to someone talking out of his own mouth and the mouths of the sock puppets he was wearing on his hands - while at a first casual glance it looked like three people were talking, a closer look showed that in reality only one person was making all that noise.

It's seen as an unfriendly act on Usenet, in that it acts to stifle actual debate. (Somebody sees all the "agreement" on a topic, thinks "If all those people say that, maybe they're right and I'm wrong and I shouldn't look like an idiot by posting," and doesn't add his opinion.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Yes, that's pretty much it. A second account for the same user.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
darksaba

A sockpuppet is a person with multiple accounts and possible forum personas. There are lots of reasons to create a sockpuppet, 99.9% of them are bad. Often they're used as weapons in flame wars and trolling. They also get used lots in arguments, if you and I have an argument then its just you and me, but if I bring along my imaginary friends then your voice tends to get drowned out. If you look through the "Banned" thread you'll notice that whenever someone is banned for sockpuppeting there are several usernames banned at the same time.

Hope this was understandable.