Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
combatmedic
Banned

Default Yrth technology

The pump action crossbow thread has started me thinking about Yrth's technology. We know about Yrth's finger printing, germ/demonet Theory of Disease, etc. What other 'benign' things slipped through, or have been invented by clever Yrthians?
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
LoneWolf23k

Default Re: Yrth technology

I've had a few ideas about that. For one, I think eyeglasses, or at least spectacles, would be highly popular amongst scholars, including wizards. Sure, some truly luddite diehards might favor broaches enchanted with Keen Vision, but I think most elderly wizards would be content with spectacles to help correct their fading vision.

Basically, I think the key here is subtlety: any technological innovation which can fly "under the radar" and not greatly transform society could fit in.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
combatmedic
Banned

Spectacles? Sure, why not?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
Basically, I think the key here is subtlety: any technological innovation which can fly "under the radar" and not greatly transform society could fit in.
Huh. Wonder if this same conspiracy also accounts for why magic hasn't totally transformed society, when logically it should have done so?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
combatmedic
Banned

It has transformed society to some extent. Magic is accepted and even honored by many Christian and Muslim religious authorities, for starters. That's a pretty big divergence from history.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic
It has transformed society to some extent. Magic is accepted and even honored by many Christian and Muslim religious authorities, for starters. That's a pretty big divergence from history.
I think he means stuff like how "Create Earth" hasn't been used to dominate the metal ore market...
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
I think he means stuff like how "Create Earth" hasn't been used to dominate the metal ore market...
Or 'Shape Stone' completely dominate the construction market. Or the fact that classical-style knights exist for no apparent reason.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
JAW

Quote:
Maybe it's just that the miners guild has a strong marketing angle "Producing magically created metals increases accidental demon summoning incidents. Don't support activity that might get your childrens souls sucked by evil otherworldy entities - buy real mined metal "
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
combatmedic
Banned

Welll, you have to have mages to cast those spells. Mages are people with a special, inborn talent. Not just anyone can learn and cast spells [unless you are in a high mana zone]. How many mages will spend all their time doing mundane sorts of work? Also, factor in single college mages, illiteracy among the general populace limiting educational propsects,etc. Magic is not technology.

That being said, I think some modifications to the standard GURPS Magic system might be in order.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Or the fact that classical-style knights exist for no apparent reason.
The knights exist because plate armor can be made cheaply with Shape Metal. What you need the conspiracy for it explaining why chain mail still exists.

Tags
banestorm, yrth