Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
cvannrederode

Default Question Ballistic attack rolls in Spaceships

Re-reading through Spaceships (we're getting ready to use them for a SW campaign), I came across an anomaly:

On page 29, it mentions that Guns use Gunner (Cannon) and that Launchers use Gunner (Guided Missile).

But on page 60, it says that you should use the Artillery (Cannon or Guided Missile), except for point-blank fire with guns. Only then do you use Gunner.

Which is correct?

This point has come up independently in our group; the whole Artillery versus Gunner debate. I agree with page 60: long range fire is "indirect" and should use Artillery.

(Apologies if this has been asked before).

Chris VanB.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
Rysith

Default Re: Question Ballistic attack rolls in Spaceships

My interpretation has always been that Gunner is for fixed (IE not held) guns fired along a relatively flat trajectory, whereas Artillery is for arcing shots (whether because of range, desire to bypass obstacles, etc.) where the local gravity plays a significant role and you aren't 'aiming' in any reasonable sense.

Under that logic, Spaceships would use Gunner because you aren't arcing your shots in space - you point your guns (roughly) at where your opponent is going to be, and you fire. I might call for artillery if you were trying to do some fancy shot that incorporated gravity well deflection as a significant part of it's path, but not otherwise.
Rysith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

I believe p.60 to be correct.

The general distinction between Gunner and Artillery is direct fire or indirect fire. With Gunner you sight down the gun barrel and try to hit a target where you can draw a mostly straight line (or at least a simple curve) between it and you.

With the Artillery Skill you're firing at a calculated point of some kind i.e. where the target will be 5 minutes from now as one example. There's also an issue of guided v. unguided and most Spaceships projectiles will have guidance even if they come out of a fun rather than a launcher.

Gunner is probably used in most cases by small fighters at close range or Gundam-style Space Mecha. There's also anomalous low tech craft such as magical space galleons or Martian Ironclad Ether Flyers but those will also be used at near surface combat ranges..
Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Yeah, page 29 appears to be basically just wrong. I mean, slightly later on the page it calls for Gunner (Guided Missile) which is straight-up not a thing.

As for why guns use Artillery beyond extreme close range, bear in mind that Spaceships guns are firing guided missiles too...

Tags
skills, spaceships