Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
markyboy156

Default full list of powers for the seven dwarven rings of power

hi all

i want a full list of abilities and powers that the seven Septs of the Dwarves rings have
or i should say for the seven dwarven rings of powers
From the lore of my own (homebrewed) world: The Septstones.

In my world, there are seven Septs of the Dwarves (great underground city-states, each with their own culture), based on gemstones (Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz, Amethyst and Opal (plus the

Categories

Obsidian Sept, but that's for Duergar)).

The Septstones basically are just symbols of power. They are rings worn by the Thanes of the Septs, the [elected among the same bloodline] leaders of each Sept. Each is a potent magical ring (major artifact level), but what makes them important to the dwarves is what they represent.dition

i want full background on these rings and full list of each rings abilities
for d&d 3.5 e or 4th edition or 5th edition and for rolemaster editions as well thanks and any other info available thanks
if no body can find any info
can anybody please put together the powers and abilities and full background and info these rings have
markyboy156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: full list of powers for the seven dwarven rings of power

You may want to check the old ICE book "Lord of Middle-Earth" 2 or 3 (the one about Dwarves and Hobbits ) I guess the "Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone" are in.

You may want to move your post to the "Roleplaying in General" Subforum instead, perhaps someone will have the inspiration for designing 7 artifacts. As said above, this forum is for the Gurps Dungeon Fantasy set.

Last edited by Celjabba; 09-15-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Irish Wolf

I just finished rereading The Lord of the Rings, and I don't recall any specific power being attributed to the Seven Rings of the Dwarf-Lords. Presumably it would have been either an amplification effect, similar to that exhibited by the Three Rings of the Elves, or that ability to channel a small portion of the One Ring's power that seemed to have brought the Nine Kings of Men under Sauron's sway as the Nazgul (or Ringwraiths).

I don't recall offhand if this tidbit was from LotR or The Hobbit, but I do recall from somewhere that Gandalf strongly suspected that Smaug was drawn to the Lonely Mountain in the first place by the aura of power surrounding a Dwarf-ring somewhere in the Dwarf-Lord's hoard.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
I just finished rereading The Lord of the Rings, and I don't recall any specific power being attributed to the Seven Rings of the Dwarf-Lords. Presumably it would have been either an amplification effect, similar to that exhibited by the Three Rings of the Elves, or that ability to channel a small portion of the One Ring's power that seemed to have brought the Nine Kings of Men under Sauron's sway as the Nazgul (or Ringwraiths).

I don't recall offhand if this tidbit was from LotR or The Hobbit, but I do recall from somewhere that Gandalf strongly suspected that Smaug was drawn to the Lonely Mountain in the first place by the aura of power surrounding a Dwarf-ring somewhere in the Dwarf-Lord's hoard.
ICE RoleMaster LOME books were notorious for giving arbitrary (list of) powers for every individuals and items in LotR... (including the infamous Lobelia Baggins Umbrella, strike as a +15 mace iirc).
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Anaraxes

The Tolkien rings amplified the ability of their owners to acquire wealth, whether by mining or other means. As Rings of Power, they also increased their wearer's abilities and tendency toward rule and domination. The corrupting influence made the dwarf-lords greedy.

Tolkien himself doesn't go into much more detail than a few sentences along those lines. So a "full list of powers" would be whatever you want them to be. And depending on your game, those powers might not even be Tolkien-esque. Perhaps your dwarves are reclusive or eremetic, and their rings help them isolate themselves underground. Perhaps they make their wearers great craftsmen. Perhaps they make them incredibly hardy and enduring (still fitting with Tolkien's rings, which in general terms resist decay of whatever is loved). Whatever dwarves are like in this setting, enhance those traits.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
The use of the Rings of Power that Sauron helped create (not the Three) was mostly Command. Wearing one, you could exert your will to influence those around you. The effect is proportional to the strength of your own will. This is not automatically evil, because although they can be used to dominate others, they can also be used to inspire. They may have had other powers, but none are ever described. They have the side-effect of making men and hobbits invisible, by dragging their physical forms halfway into the spirit-realm. They apparently don't have this effect on those who have strong presences in the spirit-realm already, and they apparently didn't turn dwarves invisible. Nobody knows what effect one might have on a common wood-elf.

The Rings of Power presumably gave this ability to the dwarves who wore them, though the effect of this was always to increase their hoards.

Of course, the true purpose of the Rings of Power was as a booby-trap: when Sauron put on the One Ring, he would have the power to command the wearers of all the others. This didn't seem to work with the dwarves.

The three Elf-rings were not made by Sauron, and aren't used to dominate others. Galadriel uses hers to preserve Lothlorien from the decline of time; Gandalf uses his to inspire others to fight the Shadow; Elrond apparently uses his to hide Rivendell and keep it safe from the enemies all round it.

I don't think there's an actual distinction between the powers of the sixteen rings distributed to men and dwarves; it's just that nine men and seven dwarves got rings. The seven dwarves were probably the heads of the seven houses of the dwarves. Dunno why nine men were given them. I also don't know why, after the nine men were turned into wraiths and Sauron collected their rings, he didn't give out those rings to more men.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I don't think there's an actual distinction between the powers of the sixteen rings distributed to men and dwarves; it's just that nine men and seven dwarves got rings.
For the Tolkien versions, there's no good reason to assume the rings have any different powers among themselves, and indeed it is fairly likely they all do the same thing.

For a homebrewed artifacts unrelated to Tolkien they can of course do anything, and that seems to be the OP intent here - these things are not related to Tolkein's rings at all, there just happen to be seven of them and they belong to dwarven leaders.

There probably isn't a lot we can do without more information. Most importantly, what do you see as the story role of these things? Are they artifacts the PCs are likely to get their hands on? Are they sacred objects they'll never so much as see you are using the powers of only as justification for events in the past history of the clans? Do they inspire the various septs to make inferior copies that have lesser versions of their specific powers that will be common among members of each sept - in which case the problem is somewhat like designing individual dwarven "races". There are quite a few different routes this could go.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
whswhs

In one of my campaigns, I went with the idea of dwarves as mineral intelligences (sort of supported by Tolkien's account of Aule's construction of the first seven dwarves). This led me to the concept of dwarf lineages or guilds with affinities for the seven states of "mineral": sand (glassworkers), soil (farmers and civil engineers), clay (potters and brickmakers), stone (masons), metal (smiths), gem (gemcutters and enchanters), and dwarf (rulers and judges). You're welcome to steal that if you think it would be useful.

There is no such list in Tolkien. In fact there's no explicit discussion of what any of the rings of power can do, except the One, though it's possible to infer that the Three provide the powers of fire, air, and water. So what you need is a plausible original fiction, I think.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
adm

Would the Seven Rings and the Nine Rings have survived the destruction of the One Ring?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Would the Seven Rings and the Nine Rings have survived the destruction of the One Ring?
No more than the Three did, and it was explicit that they lost their power when the One was destroyed. But I don't think these are THOSE Seven rings.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote