Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #21
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: GURPS Low-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Just have to make up my mind about whether I want the print version or the Right Now version. :)
Do both, that's what I'm doing.

Normally I don't get both, but this one's special, besides, in a couple of months when the real book comes out you can think of it as just buying another book, different month new book budget. *grin*
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #22
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Let me second that vote of thanks. I'll report every little error I see, but only in the spirit of making an already great book a smidge bit better and definitely not in the spirit of speaking ill of the work everyone put into it.
Speaking of, should we report typos in the usual way, or will there be a special thread for it as with Treasure Tables?
Grouchy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #23
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
Speaking of, should we report typos in the usual way, or will there be a special thread for it as with Treasure Tables?
I started a thread on the e23 forum, not sure what they'll be doing.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #24
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Low Tech 4e Errata

A request: Please don't use the errata thread to speak of things that clearly were never intended to be in the book. You're welcome to go to the GURPS forum and opine that you'd rather have tables than do math, but it's quite clear from the text that we decided that doing math was the more space-efficient and generic approach for armor. There are many armor types and hit locations, so precalculated lists of all possible combos for men and beasts would fill another chapter for which we couldn't justify the added expense.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #25
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
You mean you don't?
He lives on an island base and has poutine, instead. It's almost as good, but with fewer flunkies.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #26
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Isn't that the same as saying that there are no tables for things like Helms and Neck Protection and it's a purposeful omission?
Exactly! There are no tables for any of those things, because they don't lend themselves to tables -- the whole point is that their price, weight, and effects is figured relative to normal armor.

Quote:
In other words there aren't any tables with things like Bascinets and Gorgets.
No separate table, no, because they use the table on pp. 110-111.

Quote:
Maybe all the tables that you think you need are there, but I suggest you may want to watch your language there.
No, I just reread my post and I stand by it. Not only do you not need a table for (e.g.) neck protection, it would end up looking kind of silly to include one. Think about it: The entire table from pp. 110-111 is just for torso armor. That means that if you were to try including tables for neck protection, you'd need an entire table (the same size) just for a gorget, an entire table just for a bevor, and so on.

Quote:
So again it's ok to say purposeful omission of tables, I'm sure someone will create the tables at some point, if not an SJGames writer than a helpful fan.
If anyone wants to, they certainly can. But considering that you're talking about taking a table with 33 entries and expanding it to 396 entries just for helmets and net protection, I think that's going to be a real labor of love.

I'm curious why you're singling out just helmets and neck protection, BTW, Are you equally upset that there are no tables for codpieces, pauldrons, etc., as per p. 100? Those could be added as well -- it would bring the table up to 990 entries. That's approximately a 600- to 650-page book all by itself.

PS: An animal armor table, if added, would encompass 594 entries (or around a 400-page book).

PPS: Please note that I'm not exaggerating to prove a point. This is exactly what the math works out to. This is because there isn't a "pauldron" -- there's a cane pauldron, a padded cloth pauldron, a horn pauldron, a light layered cloth pauldron, a medium layered cloth pauldron, a heavy layered cloth pauldron, a light leather pauldron, a medium leather pauldron, a heavy leather pauldron, and so on.

That's 33 table entries for each pauldron, for each codpiece, for each gorget, for each bevor. Since there are 30 types of armor listed, including the torso armor on the table, that's 990 entries.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You're welcome to go to the GURPS forum and opine that you'd rather have tables than do math, but it's quite clear from the text that we decided that doing math was the more space-efficient and generic approach for armor.
It isn't clear, which is why I asked, there is nothing in the text which indicated there isn't a table for Helmets and Neck Protection, since I spent a few minutes looking for said table, I asked if it was errata.

Telling us that we don't need a table isn't really a good way to answer the question of whether or not a missing table accidentally got dropped out of the print run as errata, or is purposefully omitted for space.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #28
Refplace

And there was both much rejoicing and the gnashing of teeth as to wait till print version or immediate gratification at the PDF version.
I'll second getting both though. I prefer paperback but the PDF files are darn more convenient to lug around.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #29
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
No, I just reread my post and I stand by it.
Could you take the posts on this subject of tables and move them to a new GURPS thread so that we don't derail this thread like Kromm warned? Thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #30
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post

It isn't clear, which is why I asked, there is nothing in the text which indicated there isn't a table for Helmets and Neck Protection, since I spent a few minutes looking for said table, I asked if it was errata.

Telling us that we don't need a table isn't really a good way to answer the question of whether or not a missing table accidentally got dropped out of the print run as errata, or is purposefully omitted for space.
It is clear that no table was intended because there is no reference to a table, contrary to every place where we do have a table. Instead, you are expressly told that you will be given a percentage to use with the Armor Table. This is made unambiguous by dint of lack of all mention of a Helmets Table or an Animal Armor Table in the text, ToC, and index . . . just as you would not assume that an Information Technologies Table is missing from Chapter 4, because there is no reference to such a thing. A missing table is one that has a cross-reference, ToC entry, or index entry but that does not appear in the book. A table that you want but that is absent is not missing; it is merely an auctorial or editorial decision with which you disagree.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
agriculture, cabaret chicks on ice, low tech