Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
whswhs

Default I am a happy author

. . . because as part of the production process for GURPS Low-Tech, the authors are seeing the art and commenting on technical accuracy (on issues like "chariots were normally ridden by two people," "a Roman speculum had three prongs, not two," or "the Brown Bess didn't come into use until the very end of TL4 or the start of TL5"). As a result, I'm getting to see a lot of the art ahead of time. The final versions are really cool, and I'm very pleased with the artists' willingness to take pains to adjust things to the authors' specifications . . . and with Phil and Nikki's hard work in helping this project along.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to love owning a copy of this book!

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: I am a happy author

I think that excitement for Cabaret Chicks on Ice could not be any higher of it was made out of gold, ice cream and happiness.

Wild guess as to when it will come out?

A guess as to whether it will be available in PDF form before it is printed?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

You're (Capital E) Evil, Bill. Evil!

Now, I've been at the playtest, and I must say that despite all evidence, Low Tech is not over-hyped. It's simply THAT good. That makes the wait worse, mind you, because things change AFTER the playtest, and thus implementing what I know from the playtest into my stable games is just asking for trouble, since I'm 90% likely to have to do it again, once Low Tech hits the shelves.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
You're (Capital E) Evil, Bill. Evil!

Now, I've been at the playtest, and I must say that despite all evidence, Low Tech is not over-hyped. It's simply THAT good. That makes the wait worse, mind you, because things change AFTER the playtest, and thus implementing what I know from the playtest into my stable games is just asking for trouble, since I'm 90% likely to have to do it again, once Low Tech hits the shelves.
No, Evil is Agemegos.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
"the Brown Bess didn't come into use until the very end of TL4 or the start of TL5"). As a result, I'm getting to see a lot of the art ahead of time. The final versions are really cool, and I'm very pleased with the artists' willingness to take pains to adjust things to the authors' specifications . . .
Absolutely brilliant! As I have said elsewhere on this forum, the quality of art in GURPS 4e hardbacks has been consistently great lately.

Thanks to all who are responsible for taking the time to do such a wonderful job!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
Thanks to all who are responsible for taking the time to do such a wonderful job!
Although the authors have been giving input, it's Phil, Nikki, and the artists who spent their weekend doing the heavy lifting. Yay, them!

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
No, Evil is Agemegos.
Nah, he is Evill with TWO Ls.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Buzzardo

Quote:
Absolutely brilliant! As I have said elsewhere on this forum, the quality of art in GURPS 4e hardbacks has been consistently great lately.

What John said, and I'll just add how much I'm looking forward to Low Tech and especially to its companions.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
A willingness for their art department to look at more than just one artist certainly helps in that regard.

(Some of Smif's stuff was brilliant; some wasn't. But he was the only artist they were looking at for years. Before Smif, there were a few other artists who had equally-varying work quality; I just don't remember their names off the top of my head. Now that SJGames is looking at multiple artists, they can leave the work that isn't so brilliant on the shelf, instead of printing it because it's by the "staff" artist of the day...)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech