Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 11-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
43Supporter

Default Odd Historical Note

Back when _CW_ first came out, the only way for an auto-racing fan (myself) to see regional or local racing events was to watch ESPN at 0-too-early in the morning for 30-minute highlight-reel packages (and if there was a sportsball game ahead of the showing, thanks to the "_Heidi_ Rule", forget about seeing that much). In _CW_, it was mentioned in the flavor-text "some arenas have cameras, and a satellite uplink; and can broadcast their events around the world", which is why some arenas are well-known, and others are not.

Fast-forward to the Modern Era -- if a "weekend warrior" small dirt track has a couple GoPros, a laptop, and WiFi, the track can broadcast its weekly events anywhere for a small fee (~$10, not much more or less than the cost of actually attending). And with drones, the track can even have Aerial Coverage. :)

Being a long-time watcher of auto racing on TV, and been playing _CW_ since Haring was a corporal: I feel this is a notable, and relevant, statement to make on how _CW_'s backstory got this right. What say the rest of you?

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
kjamma4

Default Re: Odd Historical Note

Agreed and with Youtube, you don't even have to shell out the $10.

We had some record breaking weather here recently so we went out to a local forest preserve to get some fresh air. Someone was using a drone on the walking path!
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
ckosacranoid

That was pretty cool to see you posting that small tibbit on here and that is something that has come to be true now which is really neat if you think about it and what we are talking about in a game today about the future might come to be in the next 30 years or so.
Though we have not had crazy joe win a derby with a 50 cal though....
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckosacranoid View Post
That was pretty cool to see you posting that small tibbit on here and that is something that has come to be true now which is really neat if you think about it and what we are talking about in a game today about the future might come to be in the next 30 years or so.
Indeed -- some of us who remember the Bad Old Days of ESPN have been discussing this idea for *decades*; the Big Problem was getting the technology inexpensive and reliable so it could be carried off. Now, I feel a bit like Pappagallo at the end of _The Road Warrior_: "It's over, boy! We've won!"

This is what I get for being a Writer who is also a Gamer -- the old saying about "the problem with Fiction is it *has* to make sense" means I spend a lot of time asking myself "is this actually plausible", or "what does this die-roll actually mean in a Narrative sense"; meanwhile, other folks are looking at me like I'm crazier than I am. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckosacranoid View Post
Though we have not had crazy joe win a derby with a 50 cal though....
[snort] With iRacing now a Going Concern, I'm surprised no one's thought to start iDeathRacing.... (I'd do it, but I don't know enough about running servers, or other such details, to do it.) :)

79er

Old 11-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
doctorevilbrain

I've tried to look up what this is all about, but don't get it. Who is crazy joe? What does. 50 caliber have to do with it?

Last edited by doctorevilbrain; 11-16-2020 at 02:14 PM. Reason: My tablet edited it on here without my permission. I had to put the rest of it on here.
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
I've tried to look up what this is all about, but don't get it. Who is crazy joe? What does. 50 caliber have to do with it?
This is from Car Wars in game history. Crazy Joe Harshman strapped a surplus .50 to his demolition derby car, and autodueling was born.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
ckosacranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
This is from Car Wars in game history. Crazy Joe Harshman strapped a surplus .50 to his demolition derby car, and autodueling was born.
IN the game he is called the father of autodueling for that reason.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
Racer

At the end of September , we saw a bloke on a top end racing bicycle doing laps around a local park . He had a compact drone following the whole time from height of about 10 feet & about 20 feet behind him . When he halted , he tapped his wrist device & it slowly went to his hand to be caught .
Girlfriend was amazed , but I'd seen similar online .

Road Duelists could easily launch their own Drones before/during combats & sell footage online . Coupled to social media & possibilities are huge !
" Subscriber now to Mike 'Meltdown' Hunter's website and get access to his full 16 years of action archive ! Plus exclusive members only streaming of his Classic & upcoming Professional Duels ! "

Or stuff like :

' Follow Delulu Gibson's design & manufacturing blogs on how she came up with her prizewinning Trike & Motorcycle models .'

Heavier Gun , Targeting or Kamikaze etc Drones would be excellent addition to Car Wars games I'd reckon .
Old 11-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Heavier Gun , Targeting or Kamikaze etc Drones would be excellent addition to Car Wars games I'd reckon .
Certainly a bit more cost-effective than the News Helicopters, esp. the _Evil Eye_. Pity I never managed to get "Microcopters" published; there was a "news drone" design among them....

79er

Old 11-22-2020, 03:40 AM   #10
Racer

I'd certainly be interested an 'Microcopters' article .

Dare say SpadXIII & Big Mac would also be very interested to - although after all the model aircraft Big Mac has crashed , then he may not be tyoe to be trusted with it ... Lol