Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 10-07-2004, 11:48 PM   #11
yoodle

Default Re: Ever built an arena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piecemaker
Anyone ever built an arena? If so, out of what?
I've made a couple of arenas, but the most useful one I built was based on versatility. I wanted something like a battlemat that I could use eraseable markers on, but since we used micro-machines and 1.5x scale, none of the existing battlemats were big enough, nor did they have the correct grid sizes.

So, I cut an 4' x 8' piece of plywood in half, spray painted it with grey primer, then drew on 1.5" grids. Next came the tricky part... I used clear contact paper to put down over the top of the grid. The clear contact paper allows you to use dry erase markers just like a battlemat. Problem is, it only comes in sheets that are 1.5 ft. wide (or somewhere around there). So, I had to put down three sheets and try to line them up without overlapping them.

It worked pretty well, but over time the gaps between the contact paper widened to an inch or so. It hasn't made much of a difference, but being a perfectionist, it annoys me.

As a whole, the "arena" is great. If I want to put down terrain, it's simple enough to do, but if I want a quick arena, I can just draw one on the board. The only problem I've run into is that I can no longer transport it since I got rid of my SUV!
yoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:08 AM   #12
kjamma4

Instead of contact paper, could you use plexiglass screwed onto the plywood?
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:34 PM   #13
yoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4
Instead of contact paper, could you use plexiglass screwed onto the plywood?
Hmmm.... that's a good idea. Might be a little pricier than contact paper, but certainly a lot easier to work with and more durable.

I may just have to try that. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2004, 12:12 AM   #14
Chernobyl

Many many moons ago when I was in the navy, I built a matchbox scale (300%) arena for me and my buddies to use. A standard sized mapsheet is 8'x5'6"' if I remember correctly, so I started with 2 standard sheets of plywood (4'x8') and had the store cut them at 5'6"x4'. rest of wood for scrap.
The arena was from one of the arena books, don't remember which one, but was fairly basic. 2 fairly square platforms about 4 1/2" high, with 2 parallel connecting "bridges" between the platforms. Each platform had a solid ramp in the center of each face which went down towards the arena floor on the faces without the bridges (total of 6 ramps). anybody remember the name?

the platforms and ramps were built out of foamcore, it was quite a project. I was inspired by the folks at G.O.D.S. (Greater Orlando Duellist Society) when I played a game there once while in training at the naval training station there.

I learned a lot from the experience - mostly that matchbox is the ONLY way to play!!! it takes quite a bit of work to do though.
If I had to do it again, I wouldn't use foamcore, I'd use insulating board (pink foam) that you can get at home depot. it can be gotten for about $5 a sheet I think, and you can do neat things like model bullet holes, small crater in the concrete, etc...

The hardest thing about matchbox scale is making counters for the dropped weapons...smoke, oil, mines, etc...but I was doing it the hard way back in those days. photocopy, glue to thick card stock, tape edges...repeat...these days, with a decent income, I'd simply go to kinkos and have a bunch printed on cardstock, and save the bother.

haven't played in years, but I absolutely love car wars...many fond memories. too bad SJG isn't doing anything with it at the moment.

Chernobyl
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #15
Piecemaker

Contact paper is a great idea.

I think I'm going to use two smaller boards that can be pushed together for more carnage.
Piecemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:33 AM   #16
yoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piecemaker
I think I'm going to use two smaller boards that can be pushed together for more carnage.
Yeah, I was thinking of sawing my 4' x 4' board in half so that I could actually fit it in my car, but I'm afraid of what it might do to the contact paper.