Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
_Civ_

Default Grappling Rules

My group hasn't played in about a year, and it's been a few years since we've seen much use of the grappling rules. In my current campaign one of my players choose to be a grappler and so with a groan I threw myself into re-learning the grappling rules (it's amazing how much you can forget!).

Since the rules for grappling are spread all over Campaigns and Martial Arts I tried to make a point form cheat sheet for the more simpler grappling acts. I thought I would share it here in hopes that it could help others grappling with GURPS grappling (hahaha). And to hopefully get some feedback to correct any mistakes, and to make it easier for others to understand (and so when I come back to it in another 2 years, I'll be able to understand it!).

Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...U4bjd6Zg&hl=en
_Civ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
_Civ_

Default Re: Grappling Rules

I cut and pasted the file here for ease of access.

Grappling your foe (to gain a superior fighting position)
Move into close combat.
To grapple Torso Roll against grappling skill to hit (you may evaluate or feint if you wish).
To grapple a Hit Location apply half usual penalty to hit.
You get a +2 for every arm after the first 2, no difference between using 1 or 2 arms to grapple.
Foe defends normally (dodge, block, or parry), unless you started the turn in close combat – then he cannot block, and can only parry with a reach C weapon (he can still dodge).
If he successfully parries with a weapon, he rolls against his weapon skill and if he succeeds does automatic damage to your grappling limb.
(Torso, Neck, and Head) foe is now at a -4 to DX which mean a -4 to all attacks, -2 to parry and block, and -1 to dodge
(Arms, Legs, Hands, and Feet) foe is now at a -4 to DX with that hit location. So grappling an arm would give -4 to all attacks with it, and -2 to parries or blocks with it.

To Break Free
Your foe must win a Quick contest of ST to break free from your grapple. You get a +5 if using both hands.

Moves and Techniques after Grapple is established
You cannot: [B371]
Aim, Feint, Concentrate, Wait, or make ranged attacks (unless your foe is pinned).

Your foe cannot: [B371]
Aim, Feint, Concentrate, Wait, or make ranged attacks (they are all impossible).

3rd Parties Striking Grapplers [B392]
A 3rd party striking a grappler has a -2 to hit. If they miss, they could hit the other grappler, or someone else in close combat in that hex. Roll randomly to determine who. They then roll to hit against a 9, or the number to have hit that person on purpose, whichever is worse. If they miss, they keep rolling until they have run out of targets in that hex, or they hit someone.

(Torso) Takedown [B370]
On a standing foe roll you ST, DX, or grappling skill vs your foes ST, DX, or grappling skill.
You take a penalty to your roll equal to the usual penalty to hit for your posture.
The loser falls down into the winner’s hex and an adjacent hex of the winner’s choice. If the loser was grappling the winner, he loses his grip and is free from the grapple.

(Torso) Pin [B370]
If your foe is on the ground, roll a regular contest of ST.
To win, you must succeed, and he must fail.
Larger fighter gets +3 per size modifier.
The fighter with the most free hands, gets +3 (Hands grappling the torso count as free).
If you used 2 hands to pin your foe, you may release one after you pin him.
If pinned, your foe cannot take any maneuver that takes physical movement.
To Break Free:
Your foe must win a quick contest of your ST+5 vs his ST to break free from your pin.
You get an additional +5 if using two hands.
If you are stunned, you roll at a -4.
You each get +2 for every arm after the first 2.

(Arm) Force Foe to Drop Weapon [B370]
You must have grappled your foe’s weapon arm or hand.
Roll a regular contest of ST.
If you win you foe drops his weapon.
If you lose (your foes wins) he breaks his hand or arm free from your grapple.

(Neck) Choke or Strangle (no judo or wrestling) [B370]
You must have grappled your foe by the neck.
Roll a quick contest of your ST+3 vs your foe’s ST or HT.
You are at a -5 if only using one hand.
You get a +2 for each hand after the first.
If you win, your foe takes crushing damage to the neck (x 1.5 because it is the neck)
Foe starts to suffocate. On the next turn, and every turn until he escapes, he loses 1 FP.
To Break Free:
Just like normal 2 handed grapple; a quick contest of ST. You get a +5 for using both hands.

(Neck) Choke Hole (with Judo or Wrestling) [MA 69]
Attack from behind at Judo -2 or Wrestling -3. Extra -1 if attacking from the front.
Foe defends normally from the front.
If you surprise attack from behind, and your foe doesn’t get a defense, he can still duck his chin and parry at a -2 with a grappling skill.
If he succeeds, you still grapple his neck, but aren’t choking him.
If he critically succeeds, you fail to grapple him at all.
Next turn; roll a quick contest of your ST+3 vs your foe’s ST or HT.
You are at a -5 if only using one hand.
You get get a +2 for each hand after the first.
If you win, your foe takes crushing damage to the neck (x 1.5 because it is the neck). Or Fatigue damage (carotid choke).
Foe starts to suffocate. On the next turn, and every turn until he escapes, he loses an additional 1 FP.
To Break Free:
Just like normal 2 handed grapple; a quick contest of ST. You get a +5 for using both hands.

(Arm) Arm Lock (with Judo or Wrestling) [MA65]
You must have grappled your foe by the arm.
Or, you must have two free hands and have barehanded parried your opponent last turn.
Roll vs Judo or Wrestling. You foe may parry with any parry. (unless you started in close combat with him?)
To Break Free:
Roll a quick contest of your ST+4 vs your foe’s ST. If he loses, he has a cumulative -1 on future attempts.
Next and Following Turns
As a free action, roll a quick contest of your ST, Judo, Wrestling, or Arm Lock vs your foe’s ST or HT.
You inflict crushing damage equal to your margin of victory to your foes arm.
If you cripple his arm, you may not inflict further injury, but he will suffer shock and stunning as though you had.
Rigid DR protects normal, flexible DR has no effect.
Your opponent defends at a -4 due to the lock. (To all attackers I assume, not just the Grappler)

Last edited by _Civ_; 02-02-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
OneSeventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Civ_ View Post
3rd Parties Striking Grapplers [B392]
A 3rd party striking a grappler has a -2 to hit. If they miss, they must roll vs the lower of 9 or their actual weapon skill to hit
I don't understand that last sentence. You mean that on a miss, they have to roll against the lower of 9 or their skill to avoid hitting the party grappling their intended target? IDHMBWM, but that is my vague recollection.

Great summary, man.

Ben
OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
_Civ_

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSeventeen View Post
I don't understand that last sentence. You mean that on a miss, they have to roll against the lower of 9 or their skill to avoid hitting the party grappling their intended target? IDHMBWM, but that is my vague recollection.

Great summary, man.

Ben
Good point, I should of stuck closer the wording in the book. I am constantly amazed at the economy of words in GURPS books.

Is this clearer?

If they miss, they could hit the other grappler, or someone else in close combat in that hex. Roll randomly to determine who. They then roll to hit against a 9, or the number to have hit that person on purpose, whichever is worse. If they miss, they keep rolling until they have run out of targets in that hex, or they hit someone.

Last edited by _Civ_; 02-02-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Askeyu

The main issue I have with the rules is that striking a grappler is actually easier in real life when it comes to standard torso shots. I don't understand the -2. I can understand an added penalty for targetted shots. If you ask anyone who has kicked a man in the face who has your buddy pinned to the ground, they would tell you that there isn't much to evaluate for a second, aim for another second, then attack.
Askeyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askeyu View Post
The main issue I have with the rules is that striking a grappler is actually easier in real life when it comes to standard torso shots. I don't understand the -2. I can understand an added penalty for targetted shots. If you ask anyone who has kicked a man in the face who has your buddy pinned to the ground, they would tell you that there isn't much to evaluate for a second, aim for another second, then attack.
... why have you resurrected a 5-year-old thread to ask this?

Anyway, someone who is grappling isn't in a good position to fight back (they'll have to break free/release their target to come after you). Additionally, their arms are occupied (no Parrying), they can't retreat (so no +3 to Dodge), and they've got a general -2 or so to defenses (more if they're prone or kneeling). Altogether, that means you can easily make a Telegraphic All Out Attack at a whopping +8 to hit. That easily cancels the -2. It's just that if you want to make the attack without those options, it's a bit harder to initially hit your target, as your buddy is right there by him and you'd rather not clock him in the head.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Hide

I need to clarify this: What happens if my enemy is pinned I then I want to (triangle) choke him. DO I need to roll to hit, and/or do I have any bonuses to hit?

Thank you,
- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I need to clarify this: What happens if my enemy is pinned I then I want to (triangle) choke him. DO I need to roll to hit, and/or do I have any bonuses to hit?

Thank you,
- Hide
First of all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
... why have you resurrected a 5-year-old thread to ask this?
It's only one year now but same question applies.

In principle, you need to roll to hit and have no extra bonuses. You also might only be able to use one hand for the choke, since pinning only gives one free, though having a hand participate in pin and choke at the same time might make sense.

However, since your victim is helpless they can't defend and you can certainly take a Telegraphic Attack with no drawbacks, and All Out is also safe unless you have other enemies.

There's some support for just letting you succeed at doing something to a helpless target. I strongly disagree with this if there is time pressure or consequences of failure - for instance, if the pinned victim isn't the only enemy around. But if you've got no such factors it would be entirely reasonable to just declare a success rather than rolling dice a few times prior to that foregone conclusion.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
First of all:

It's only one year now but same question applies.

In principle, you need to roll to hit and have no extra bonuses. (...)

However, since your victim is helpless they can't defend and you can certainly take a Telegraphic Attack with no drawbacks, and All Out is also safe unless you have other enemies. (...)
Oh I get it, Telegraphic Attacks might do the trick; to be honest I was not very familiar with that maneuver.

Answering to your question; I started wondering about this because the book states something like "a pinned PC is helpless"; I got the impression that anything I intended against a pinned enemy would be guaranteed. And as far as I read, "helpless" was not clear to me. Finally, it's best asking in a thread which already has supplementary information, don't you think?

- Thanks!
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Oh I get it, Telegraphic Attacks might do the trick; to be honest I was not very familiar with that maneuver.
Telegraphic Attack is not a maneuver (it's an attack option), and it's actually rather important for making certain things work out half-way sensibly.
Quote:
Answering to your question; I started wondering about this because the book states something like "a pinned PC is helpless"; I got the impression that anything I intended against a pinned enemy would be guaranteed. And as far as I read, "helpless" was not clear to me. Finally, it's best asking in a thread which already has supplementary information, don't you think?

- Thanks!
No, I don't think it's best to necro a long-dead marginally-related thread with a new question...

Tags
grappling